Sword and Sworcery won't launch?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vvackdavid

Re: Sword and Sworcery won't launch?

Post by vvackdavid »

You're awesome for helping out so much while working. I totally forgot to add optirun to the game in steam, so that was the freakout. Will try again. Once you're out and not busy, would a walk through of this purging business be too much to ask? X/ thanks!
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

Purging is easy - do it in Synaptic (you can do it in the terminal, others would advise it, but it's quite safe to use a GUI nowadays)

[*]Load Synaptic, search for Nvidia
[*]Find the Nvidia-*** (where *** is a number) with a green square next to it
[*]Right-click on it, and select 'Mark for complete removal'
[*]Hit Apply, but DON'T reboot when it's done (*see below*)
[*]Go back and search for Nvidia again
[*]Find the highest number, then right-click and 'Mark for installation'
[*]Hit Apply, then reboot once it's done.

Hopefully it'll be alright!!!

*below* - if you get warnings about it removing other packages, stop, and post the list here. You could break your system doing this (well, the graphical system anyway). You can close Synaptic without doing the action
vvackdavid

Post by vvackdavid »

OK so i uninstalled nvidia 304, and installing 310... so afraid..

Update: it broke, now primusrunning it is telling me:
primus: fatal: Bumblebee daemon reported: error: Could not load GPU driver
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

Fingers crossed :)

Remember, even if your system refuses to boot to desktop (i.e. dumps you in a terminal), it's STILL fixable
vvackdavid

Post by vvackdavid »

Alright. SO. After breaking it by installing 3.10 over 3.04, I uninstalled 3.10 and decided to install Nvidia_current. which reinstalled 3.04 and 3.04 settings. Everythings working again, but I don't know how to tell if this missing package thing is resolved or not.
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

Nvidia-current is fine, it pulls in the appropriate version as and when via a normal update. You could test it by running the game?
vvackdavid

Post by vvackdavid »

It runs perfectly find under primusrun... does the same thing out of it though
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

So issue is fixed now? I'm not sure how graphically intense it is (or which CPU you have), but primusrun has WAY more power than without it.
vvackdavid

Post by vvackdavid »

Nope. Without it it doesn't work, I'm running an i7 3rd(?) gen clocked at 2.8 i believe. So it's got the integrated graphics, just for some reason it doesn't wanna load openGL...

Update: downloaded the propriatary intel drivers for 64 bit linux and still not getting anything. Don't really know what to do at this point.
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

Wasn't aware there was an propriatory Intel drivers :oops:

I'm a bit stumped here. I think it's a symlink issue, as in the game is looking for the library in one location and it's not finding it. You normally get this when using the wrong distros packages (hence why repos are awesome). Normally you'd ask in the game's forum, and some developer-type person would let you know what needed to be linked to where, but Google is coming up blank for me on this :(

Type in "find / -name 'libGL.so.1' 2>/dev/null" and post back what comes up. Maybe we can find it and work out where it's missing from.

Edit: Try this "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib32" then run the game - does it work?
vvackdavid

Post by vvackdavid »

Sorry about the wait, it was around 5 am around here last time I posted and I hadn't slept xD

Anyway, after the first find command I got this: find / -name 'libGL.so.1' 2>/dev/null
/usr/lib32/nvidia-304/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/primus/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/primus/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/nvidia-304/libGL.so.1

i tried the second one and got the same error when I tried to launch the game
vvackdavid

Post by vvackdavid »

chemicalfan wrote:Wasn't aware there was an propriatory Intel drivers :oops:

I'm a bit stumped here. I think it's a symlink issue, as in the game is looking for the library in one location and it's not finding it. You normally get this when using the wrong distros packages (hence why repos are awesome). Normally you'd ask in the game's forum, and some developer-type person would let you know what needed to be linked to where, but Google is coming up blank for me on this :(

Type in "find / -name 'libGL.so.1' 2>/dev/null" and post back what comes up. Maybe we can find it and work out where it's missing from.

Edit: Try this "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib32" then run the game - does it work?
So I tried the quoted command and it didn't work. HOWEVER, after executing the find command and seeing the path, i changed the path in the export command to:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa
and it worked perfectly.

Note: I also tried it using the NVida directory and it said this:
X Error of failed request: GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
Major opcode of failed request: 153 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
Serial number of failed request: 25
Current serial number in output stream: 26

so. anyway to make that library change permanent? You were right; primus eats up a significant amount more power than the regular gpu
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

I can't remember off-hand, sorry :(
There is a config file under /home, but I can't remember which one holds the auto-execute commands. Might be worth posting that specific question in it's own thread on the main board (as it's a general question, and not gaming specific)

Return to “Gaming”