Elementary - The Road to Luna

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

Elementary - The Road to Luna

Post by Orbmiser »

[url]http://elementaryos.org/journal/the-road-to-luna[/url]
Dawn of the Final Day
It’s all come down to this. The countdown is up on the homepage while we get the final pieces in order. Cassidy James sends CDs to pre-orderers and gets new CDs, t-shirts, and stickers ready for shipping. Cody Garver waits, itching to upload the final ISO of Luna. Daniel Fore wordcrafts his remaining edits to this article. The entire web team sits in eager anticipation for the timer to run out and the new website to go live. Our fans frantically guess and take bets at what’s about to be revealed.

You finally know that after over 2 years, we are so incredibly proud to release elementary OS “Luna”.
New Video and download links.
[url]http://elementaryos.org/[/url]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Adelante

Re: Elementary - The Road to Luna

Post by Adelante »

The final release is working beautifully for me. But then, the Betas did, too. Very nice job by the developers. Lovely.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Has anyone else tried this. Was very anticipated but I tried in VBox and it seems heavy (ram) and clunky (slow). Not what I was expecting.

Pat
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I've only used it installed, but my CPU is generally +/- 5%; RAM +/- 10%. At this moment: CPU 6.5%; RAM 11%. I don't actually know if that's considered good or bad, but it's fairly normal for my computer, when running Elementary or LXDE. Cinnamon or KDE may run slightly higher, but not a lot. In any case, this release of Luna is running plenty fast for me.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Adelante wrote:I've only used it installed, but my CPU is generally +/- 5%; RAM +/- 10%
Hi - I don't think those figures expressed as a percentage mean much except to you comparing 2 things on your own hardware (how about "free -m" on a fresh boot?). You mention LXDE as installed next to this - and you find them comparable, as in similar resources & speed? I can try a little more if you think it is in any way similar but my initial thought was kick it to the curb.

Pat
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

palo wrote:Has anyone else tried this. Was very anticipated but I tried in VBox and it seems heavy (ram) and clunky (slow).
Not what I was expecting.
Pat
Not positive but think this is one of the distro's that doesn't fair well in VM.
Think I remember reading something on this.
But not positive with just my last two neurons rubbing together giving false positives :P
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Okay, after fresh boot, free -m:

Mem Total 7694
Used 1561
Free 6132

I use LXDE regularly, currently Peppermint 4, but sometimes I switch around. I'd say LXDE and Elementary work equally well for me and I enjoy both. Though I don't do really complicated stuff on my computer. If you're looking for a tryout-and-compare it's one thing, but if you're already set on LXDE, I wouldn't say you need to get it. As for resources and speed, I'd say LXDE uses a bit less RAM, and CPU usage runs a little lower on LXDE, but it's no major difference in performance on my computer. It's just a lovely job Elementary did on Luna. I used it through the betas out of curiosity and grew fond of it. It's extremely smooth and stable, besides being beautiful. If you do pursue it, download Elementary Tweaks from Synaptic. It will show up in system settings and you can change parts on the DE to be as you like them.
rob1408

Post by rob1408 »

I downloaded Luna and played about with it for a good couple of hours and it's very impressive, the devs have done a great job. It's polished, stable and quick. I've finally got Mint Cinnamon how I like it, so won't install Luna on my main machine but it's installed on my second box and I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Tried the LiveCD and a few questions or observations.

1) Dual monitor support - Doesn't allow you to select which if Primary. It assumes as in my case primary is right of.
a switch to allow setting primary would be nice. As want primary to be the left monitor without need to move my monitors around.
2) No right or left click desktop mouse actions. Don't know if those can be assigned or not.
3) Top panel - No settings or right click on panel for removing items on panel like Keyboard? No moving or sizing of panel?
4) Launcher dock- Able to adjust position? Vertical or Horizontal? Size?

Elegant and Minimalist and a beautiful desktop that is soon ruined when adding power apps that don't comply to Elementary's Design Philosophy. As the default apps don't cut it for my needs.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Another try at this - Guest Additions were just not installing for me and the frustration was unbearable. Then a pop-up appeared to notify me of additional drivers to install. Really? In Vbox? So hahaha this is what it was
[rimg]http://i.imgur.com/MscZZsU.jpg[/rimg]
An intuitive OS that senses my frustration and offers a solution - sounds nice. After a few restarts that took forever to login and left me without borders (reminiscent of my experiences with Cinnamon), I found after a cold start it behaved nicely - very nicely. Plan to test a little more. Like Orbmiser says it is going to be a little limited but hey, it's young. The fonts are pretty; like wet lollipops - have to find them.
Adelante wrote:Okay, after fresh boot, free -m:

Mem Total 7694
Used 1561
Free 6132
I don't how you can get 1561 on a fresh boot with no apps. What I get is:

Code: Select all

pat@elemenOS:~$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1064        528        536          0         27        284
-/+ buffers/cache:        216        848
Swap:         1085          0       1085
pat@elemenOS:~$ 
216 is very reasonable.

Pat
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

That looks quiet slick I'll have to give it a test drive and maybe add that to my multi boot usb stick and see if I can finally wean my friend off vista :lol:
TNFrank

Elementary OS "Luna" may give Mint MATE a run for it's money

Post by TNFrank »

Just checked out a "Live" USB download of Elementary OS "Luna" after seeing it reviewed on the Linux Action Show on Jupiter Broadcasting on my Roku2 HD and I have to say, it's looking pretty decent. Reminds me a lot of Mac OS X althought it's NOT an OS X look alike by any stretch of the imagination. Ran super fast even from a USB drive, figured it be even faster from HDD. Looks so good I'm actually tempted to install it even though I really do love my Mint 15 MATE. I'm going to really have to think about it but faster and lighter are always better IMHO, that's why I made the move from Ubuntu 12.04LTS to Mint 15 MATE. Yep, going to have to really sleep on it but I just might give it a try via install. Worse comes to worse I can always reinstall Mint.
Adelante

Re: Elementary OS "Luna" may give Mint MATE a run for it's m

Post by Adelante »

I use Mint 15 Cinnamon, not MATE, but I also use Elementary Luna. I like it a lot. I like both Cinnamon and Luna a lot, actually. I wouldn't want to choose between them. I just change off when I feel like it. :D
TNFrank

Re: Elementary OS "Luna" may give Mint MATE a run for it's m

Post by TNFrank »

My ol' nc6400 only has a 60GB HDD so I don't want to partition it for a dual boot so I just pick the "flavor of the month" and run with it until I get tired of it or find something that runs better. So far I'm lovin' Mint 15 MATE over Ubuntu 12.04LTS but I am giving E-OS a close look. Being a former OS X user it looks a lot like it to me. Only thing I can't get is why no left or right click drop down menus on the Desktop? Other then that it looks pretty nice, wonder how it compares resource wise to Mint 15 MATE?

Return to “Chat about Linux”