Exiting times for us distro hoppers!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Exiting times for us distro hoppers!

Post by MagnusB »

Yeah, LILO has some issues, I prefer GRUB. Though the most promising slack distro I have (briefly) tested so far is easys. It has it's own homebrewn "Alice" which handles installation, packages and configuration, and it is quite fast as well. Still it used LILO and I couldn't get it translated to GRUB, so I just briefly tried it out..
Also I have recently reformated my drive, so now I got 2x10GB partitions to test out distributions on, removed Mint in the process though, but I'll look in to it again when Elyssa is out :D
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

MagnusB wrote:Installed 8.04 last night, went to configure my wireless today (NDISwrapper) and found that it hadn't discovered that I had a wireless device (but somehow it had loaded the ssb module). Anyway, went to install the driver, then blacklisted the incorrect modules and rebooted, still no devices.. Strange since I got it to work in Gutsy...
I had the same experience with Kubuntu Hardy... and I have a Broadcom wireless chip. Sigh! :cry:
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

It doesn't happen to be a BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI? The only good thing about Broadcom is that it is well supported by NDISwrapper, though I still prefer Intel chips any day... To bad I didn't have any say on the make of this laptop, the insurance company made that decision for me...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

It's a BCM4318 PCMCIA card by U.S. Robotics (the MAXg model). It worked in Daryna and in Gutsy. I bought it without considering Linux compatibility... :(

Return to “Chat about Linux”