[Solved] Does anyone use ubuntu backports repositories?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Does anyone use ubuntu backports repositories?

Post by locutus »

From the /etc/apt/sources.list there are two repositories that are commented out like this:
## +++ Backports & Proposed (Ubuntu Unstable) +++

I enabled them and reloaded synaptic and there were 54 additions & updates. Now, these are "Proposed" and "Unstable" so I did not install them. But they are included in the sources.list even if they are not enabled by default, so does anybody enable them and update or is it better to just ignore them?

Thanx.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Does anyone use ubuntu backports repositories?

Post by 67GTA »

They are updated (community) packages that didn't make it in to the repos before the final release, and some are testing versions. The worst that will happen is a few bugs could be introduced in to some of your apps. If you don't need anything from this repo, I wouldn't mess with them. But if you are adventurous...
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Does anyone use ubuntu backports repositories?

Post by locutus »

Things are working pretty damn well, so I won't mess with it, but thanks for straightening that out.
Insane1
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Solved] Does anyone use ubuntu backports repositories?

Post by Insane1 »

I personally noticed that for some reason when I used the ubuntu backports and proposed, some updates wouldn't show up in MintUpdate. Unsure if that was just me, or what was up. (The updates appeared after I unselected Ubuntu backports and proposed)

Return to “Beginner Questions”