ATI 9550 and Mesa

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

ATI 9550 and Mesa

Post by millpond »

I have here an older 32 bit system with with a Radeon 9550 driver video card (256Mb) Which Xorg no longer supports, but the Mesa r300 driver does. At least in theory.
It is currently on LMDE (Wheezy/testing) on a 3.0.32 kernel.

I have downloaded Mesa 8.0, compiled it and ran : make install.
All the libs are there under /usr/local/lib/dri

I have no problem with the video display, but have absolutely no 3D rendering ability.

fglrxinfo
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual!

lsmod - no video cards listed

lspci:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV350 AS [Radeon 9550]
01:00.1 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV350 AS [Radeon 9550] (Secondary)

aticonfig
aticonfig: No supported adapters detected

I've spent the whole day searching and only have been able to come up with useless info for Ubuntu Mint and PPA's and other clearly outdated info.

I need to know how to get the system to recognize the card and use the r300 driver.
If I need to create a kernel module I would also need a link to a good tutorial for doing it.

Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Re: ATI 9550 and Mesa

Post by millpond »

Problem appears fixed.

This appears to be a common problem. Its a perfectly good card from 2005 thats fine for all normal multimedia use except gaming. Except LMDE does not seem to handle this well out of the box.

For others with older Radeon cads what I did was :
Install the Mesa drivers (9550 particularly needs the r300 lib). I compiled mine.
In synaptic totally remove anything associated with and including FGLRX , while reinstalling all the xorg ATI and RADEON drivers.
Copied /user/local/lib/dri to /user/lib/dri

However, now all the fglrx utils such as glxgears and aticonfig are gone from the system.
This is not a major problem but I would like to know how to access the refresh rates for the card, as now the xorg.log is telling me my monitor is running at either 68 or 85Hz, and after a few minutes of playing a 3D game the monitor blacked out with an 'Out of Range' message, and forced a cold reboot.
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Post by millpond »

Control center does have an option to change refresh rates, but on my 1024*768 resolution it is the only one that insists on a (auto) setting with 85 but also 75.

Doesnt seem to work though.

What does work is xrandr --rate 75

I have it in bashrc since I *always* call up a terminal for root functions.

Is there a perhaps better place to put this for after the system settles down and nothing else can effect the video functions?
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

Did you bother going to AMD to d/l the drivers from them?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx
deeply84

Post by deeply84 »

Hi, poster, I am a Mint 13 maya user too.
After buying a second handed ATI Radeon 9550 Video Card, I am now facing the same problem as you were.
The resolusion is up to 1024X768 at most and I am not satisfied with that.
I have tried to downloaded the driver from AMD official site, the version of it is 9.3 with the name of "ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run",
Then I typed "sudo sh ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run", finally it showed that
"Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:3.2.0-23-generic; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.rdPhCs"

It was quite a frustration.
And I searched and found your post, still not get any clue of solution.
If you have solved this problem, would you please let me know how?
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

chmod a+x filename.run
sudo ./filename.run

Return to “LMDE Archive”