[SOLVED]latitude D630. Not able to turn on build in wireless

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vvcronosvv

[SOLVED]latitude D630. Not able to turn on build in wireless

Post by vvcronosvv »

Hello, i'm a new linux user. I just installed Mint 14 a few hours ago, but I can't get the wireless working. There's a hard switch on the side of the laptop to turn it on and it's not doing anything. It worked fine in windows xp. I've tried a few things and some commands to upgrade drivers in the terminals that i found through google but nothing seems to work.

I also had the same problem with this laptop and ubuntu a few months ago. I gave up and uninstalled it due to the issue, but would really love to get this working and use Mint full time instead of windows.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
edwardr

Re: Dell latitude D630. Not able to turn on build in wireles

Post by edwardr »

Try this. Connect the laptop to the internet using a wired connection then run the "Software Sources" tool from "Menu->Preferences->Software Sources" and click on the "Additional Drivers" tab. You should see a recommended driver for "Broadcom" or "wireless". Select it and install it. You may need to logout and back in, or restart, I'm not sure. Let us know if it works!
vvcronosvv

[SOLVED] Dell latitude D630. Can't turn on build in wireless

Post by vvcronosvv »

Thank you so much, that fixed it.
luptonma

Re: [SOLVED]latitude D630. Not able to turn on build in wire

Post by luptonma »

So what if I don't have a hardwire network connection available? Aside from remastering the iso file or spinning my own disto how do I get a Dell D630 running Mint 15 with built in WiFi online if I don't have an ethernet connection available?

Given the millions of Broadcomm WiFi chips out there in fairly recent vintage laptops I'm really surprised that this driver isn't baked into the distro. If I boot a DSL or Puppy Linux distro the WiFi works great but Ubuntu, Mint and their ilk don't seem to emphasize WiFi connectivity much these days.

Max L.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you have any more problems with network - wired or wireless - please run this in terminal and post the output:

Code: Select all

inxi -N
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
MacGeek83

Post by MacGeek83 »

AlbertP wrote:If you have any more problems with network - wired or wireless - please run this in terminal and post the output:

inxi -N
I'm having the same issue but when I go to Software Manager I don't see the option for additinal drivers. I did run this command and I see:

I just installed Linux Mint of a Dell D630

Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN driver: b43-pci-bridge 
           Card-2: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3 
MacGeek83

Post by MacGeek83 »

Found a fix :)

I ran this:

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer  
Found it here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/232532/cant-get-wireless-working-on-12-10-and-dell-latitude-d630
After I ran this and re-booted the computer if found the wireless card :)

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I'm glad you found a fix, but in future please don't post your problems in topics that are already marked as solved, instead open a new one.
daffducke

Re: Dell latitude D630. Not able to turn on build in wireles

Post by daffducke »

I found this solution worked on D630 laptops with the Broadcom BCM94321MC wireless but not on the Broadcom BRCM94311MCG wireless cards. The sticker on the bottom of the laptop displays the wireless chipset.
edwardr wrote:Try this. Connect the laptop to the internet using a wired connection then run the "Software Sources" tool from "Menu->Preferences->Software Sources" and click on the "Additional Drivers" tab. You should see a recommended driver for "Broadcom" or "wireless". Select it and install it. You may need to logout and back in, or restart, I'm not sure. Let us know if it works!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Indeed for the 4311 the STA driver from there does not always work, installing firmware-b43-installer using a wired internet connection is a better solution for the 4311 card. But you are replying to an old "solved" topic (on March 27, 2013 the OP posted that his/her problem was solved) so the OP probably doesn't look here anymore.
If you have a question about a Broadcom 4311 card yourself please open a new topic instead of replying here.

Return to “Networking”