HBOGo stopped playing?!??(SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davisetdavis

HBOGo stopped playing?!??(SOLVED)

Post by davisetdavis »

Was using Mint 13 on Thinkpad R61,with just one or two issues that weren't really much of a bother,but when 15 came out it solved those small nagging issues, so I switched. After signing on to HBOGo and trying to play a movie, I found another glitch. I can no longer play movies on HBOGo with Google Chrome, or any other browser. I switched back to Mint 13, and after updating found I could not play HBOGo on 13 either. I have now re-installed 15, and have been trying to trouble-shoot this for the last 5 days.
I ran an ISO of Mint 13 and could easily use HBOGo with fire fox and Chromium, so I am convinced it is not a hardware problem.
I have also disabled flash 11.7 to use 11.2 on mint 15 and that does not solve anything. All other video sites play just fine, hulu, youtube,CBS,ABC,AOL,etc., it appears to be only a problem with the HBO site.
Has anyone else ran into this problem?? Help?!?!?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: HBOGo stopped playing?!??

Post by tdockery97 »

I can confirm this running Mint 15 Xfce. I've always been able to use HBO-GO before this. I'll post if I find a solution.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
davisetdavis

Post by davisetdavis »

Thanks, it's good to know it isn't some setting that I have messed up...I look forward to new posts.
Thanks again
godsofliberty

Post by godsofliberty »

Same problem.

Running Mint 14 64bit Firefox 22 flash 11.2 r202

All other flash sites work.
godsofliberty

Post by godsofliberty »

I would also like to add that if I go to hbo.com I get the same thing. A spinning Icon that stops, leaving me with a blank black flash page.

I sent them an email asking for recent changes after describing my problem.
davisetdavis

Post by davisetdavis »

FYI---- I recently rolled Linux Mint 15 back to 13. During initial update, I did not allow any gstreamer updates and HBOgo is working fine for me now on Chromium and Firefox, not on Google Chrome, however...

Hope this helps.
godsofliberty

Post by godsofliberty »

I finally got a reply from HBO Go:

Thank you for your email. We value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share it with us. HBO GO/MAX GO is not accessible on the Linux platform, including the Ubuntu OS.

Thank you,
The HBO GO Team
chrisboy333

Post by chrisboy333 »

The only way I've found to get it working is to install Mozilla Firefox(and flash during the install) through PLayOnLinux(a wine installation tool)...
solarmaze

Post by solarmaze »

als cannot get hbogo to work anymore.
I am less than a novice when it comes to linux, but I used to run ubuntu on a PC connected to my larg LCD TV for things like hbogo.com
Things stopped working after an automatic update of adobe flash to 11.2.202
I never could get it to work again... even with other browsers.
So.. I heard linux mint was a better choice for multimedia, and al required pluins for firefox already installed.
But it is the same problem with linux mint.
Therefore I conclude the problem MUST BE WITH FLASH 11.2.202!!!!
Doesn't look like anyone is going to fix this, and being a linux novice don't know how to load and run an older version of flash.
HELP!? cOMMENTS!?
tHANKS.
solarmaze

Post by solarmaze »

chrisboy333 wrote:The only way I've found to get it working is to install Mozilla Firefox(and flash during the install) through PLayOnLinux(a wine installation tool)...
I am a novice. Can you give specifcs as how to do this?
davisetdavis

Post by davisetdavis »

OK--I did a full re-install of Linux Mint 13 and did not allow ANY gstream updates and HBOGo is working on every browser. So this appears to be an Ubuntu related issue and not the Flash player or anything Mint.
Hope this info helps!
solarmaze

Post by solarmaze »

I think you proved that Ubuntu is NOT the problem by installing mint 13. Mint comes WITH Firefox and all its plugins... and then by stopping updates, you have a pretty 11.2.202 version of flash. The mint I installed was 15, and it came with the new defective flash, and adobe says no more Linux support.

I don't want to use mint 13 Cruz its max screen resolution is too low.

So I need way (novice) to replace adobe flash with an old version, OR a novoceway to use some alternate flash.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I can confirm that HBO GO isn't working on Mint 15 for me either. I'll tell you what. I love Mint, and have been using it for 5 years, but I finally realized that for a home theater computer Linux just isn't worth bothering with. There is always some hack or work around that needs to be done. I gave in about a month ago, and recycled a Windows 7 license from another computer (full retail so no legal issues), and am very happy with the results. I will of course continue to use Mint as my main OS on my primary PC, but rather than mess all the BS anymore I'm happier running Windows on my media PC.
davisetdavis

Post by davisetdavis »

Just an update...

there were 7 gstream updates that I blocked, all of which had new ubuntu suffixes.
All websites that I could originally stream from are still streaming fine.
Hope this helps!
davisetdavis

Post by davisetdavis »

Just wondering if anyone has any information regarding a fix for this yet?
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

For anyone interested HBOGo now has Chromecast support. I've now gone this route, and it works flawless. For those that don't know the Chromecast is a small device about the size of of a flash drive that plugs into an HDMI port on your TV. It then connects through your home wifi, and you control it from a phone or tablet, which acts as your remote control. So far it's compatible with Hulu+, Netflix, HBO-GO, and some music programs. I am now using this for all Netflix and HBO playback, and only use my HTPC for stuff that's on my server.
justintuma

Post by justintuma »

This drove me nuts for the longest time and I finally was able to get it working tonite! I was having problems authenticating to both hbogo and adultswim.com (although all other non-DRM videos played fine) - now both are working as expected.

I'm running 64-bit Mint version 15 with flash player 11.2.202.332

I followed the directions on this link:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/mult ... aying.html

and was still getting errors when doing the test they mention.

Then I found this thread on the adobe support site referencing some extra steps from an Amazon Prime support site which did the trick for me:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1273248

Hopefully this helps!
davisetdavis

Post by davisetdavis »

I found this in another thread and it worked perfectly for me in Linux Mint 16, Cinnamon.

Vsenji333 wrote:
I have Linuxmint 16 x64 installed. This worked for me.

First
Open a terminal to add this ppa and install HAL.
Type each line and press enter at the end of each line.

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mjblenner/ppa-hal

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install hal

When HAL is installed type each line of the following and press enter at end of each line.

cd ~/.adobe/Flash_Player

rm -rf NativeCache AssetCache APSPrivateData2

When this is complete, go to the amazon prime web site and select a movie. This time the update will work and the movie will play correctly. You won't have to repeat this each time. Just do this once.

This completely fixed my issues with HBO as well as Amazon Instant Video.
Thanks to Vsenji333.

Also I added Pipelight:

http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html ( copy and paste to browser searchbar)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipelight/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends pipelight-multi
sudo pipelight-plugin --update

sudo pipelight-plugin --enable silverlight
# Type in 'Y' to accept the license of Silverlight and all required modules

Thanks to FDS-Team | Pipelight

I also added restricted Ubuntu extras from the Software Manager.

Hope this Helps.

Return to “Sound”