Grub With The Nice Image

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cAbLe

Grub With The Nice Image

Post by cAbLe »

Hello All:

I dont have to say that I am a newbie, you will know it immediately ;) But I like Linux Mint and I want to repair it.

First: The grub is working without any problem, but I have the blue menu with text. In the Mint page, shows a nice image as Grub (With a time counter and the mint logo). What can I do to have it also?

Second: The image when I have to put my user name and password is completely screwed. It is very big resolution and my monitor cant show it well. I just put my user and pass by memory :)
Is there a way to solve it?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Grub With The Nice Image

Post by Husse »

Thank you for your interest in Mint
To help you solve your problem we need to know exactly what Mint you use.
By that I mean version (like Celena or Daryna or numerical if you prefer) and edition (main = Gnome, KDE or some of the Community Editions like xfce or fluxbox or the mini edition)
We also need information about your hardware. You can obtain that by running
lspci
in a terminal
If it is something connected to USB you run
lsusb
and similarly for other 'buses' like pcmcia....
To copy from a terminal mark (with the mouse) and right click
Then paste into a code box (it does not use as much space then)
Thank you
cAbLe

Post by cAbLe »

Hello:

Thanks for the answer!
I am using the Daryna version.
I will do what you asked for on Monday, because I am using Mint at work :)

Thanks again.
cAbLe

Post by cAbLe »

• czy51513@LMCB6KV:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    03:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
Linux Mint 4 Daryna
Gnome Desktop
cAbLe

Post by cAbLe »

Sorry for the 2ble post...please delete the previous one, there is not an option to do it by myself.
cAbLe

Post by cAbLe »

This is the image that I want
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

cAbLe and others who may have a similar problem,

Husse gave a really good how-to for getting the nice grub and boot screens set up. I hope I am sharing this correctly, so if anyone sees a boo-boo, please let me know so I can change it. This worked great on my Mint 4 GNOME main computer (Thanks, Husse!). Basically, here is what he suggested to do:

If you use Mint 4 GNOME and do not have a /boot partition you need to click Linux Mint Menu --> Terminal. When the Terminal screen pops up, key in:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

When that list pops up, go down a few lines to find the line that reads:

gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.mint

Change that line to read:

##gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.mint

Save the changes, close the terminal window, and reboot. You should boot right up to the log-in screen.

Now, if you use Mint 4 GNOME and have set up a /boot partition, you need to click Linux Mint Menu --> Terminal. When the Terminal screen pops up, key in:

sudo cp /etc/grub/message.mint /boot/grub/

Now, you should type in:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

When that list pops up, go down a few lines to find the line that reads:

gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.mint

Change that line to read:

gfxmenu=/grub/message.mint

Save the changes, close the terminal window, and reboot. You should boot right up to the log-in screen.

Please make sure you backup or copy your /boot/grub/menu.lst before making any changes. I know Husse's methods worked for me, but your mileage may vary. Please be careful.

That being said, I have the Mint 5 version of the same boot / splash scenario. So, I revisited Husse's advice and made one tiny change in the above procedure. I changed "message.mint" to read "message.elyssa" and everything seems to be working fine with my Mint 5 test machine.

I hope this will help you and anyone else who may be having similar issues at boot. Back-up, good luck, and please post back to let me know if this works properly or has a glitch.
cAbLe

Post by cAbLe »

Hello:

Thanks for your reply.

I already read that guide and it didn't work for me.
Maybe I made a wrong step.

I will recheck tomorrow and I will tell you if it is working or not.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Return to “Installation & Boot”