help with grub on partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steveie

help with grub on partition

Post by steveie »

I HAVE RECENTLY PARTITIONED MY HARD RIVE TO MAKE THE MINT PARTITION BIGGER ITS NOW BOOTS UP TO THE SPLASH SCREEN AND WHEN I SELECT MINT (ALSO XP IN THE LIST) AN ERROR MESSAGE COME BACK WITH ERROR 22 NO PARTITION FOUND
THE MINT PARTITION WAS HDA6 ITS NOW HDA2 I THEN REINSTALLED MINT FROM SCRATCH AND ALL BOOTS UP NO PROBLEM AND USED ACRONIS (ON XP) WITH WHICH I HAVE MADE HARD DRIVE IMAGES (MINT AND XP) MINT RELOADS FROM ACRONIS BUT THEN WHEN I GET TO THE SPLASH SCREEN THE ERROR 22 MESSAGE AGAIN
TO ME THE ACRONIS IMAGE WHICH HAS ALL THE SETTINGS SEEMS TO MAKE THE PARTITION BE HDA6,IF THAT MAKES SENSE
ANY ONE HELP?
CHEERS
STEVE
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: help with grub on partition

Post by Husse »

Please don't use only MAJOR letters
If for some reason the partition has changed from hda6 to hda2 you have to change menu.lst accordingly
Is this Daryna? There you should get sda...
Anyway boot the live CD
find your Mint on the hard disk and navigate to /boot/grub
Open menu.lst for editing, on the live CD just double click (in the installed version you would have to open a terminal and do gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst - use this in case I'm wrong - there's no password on the live CD)
You will find two entries like this
title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/hda6 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
boot

title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/hda6 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
boot
Change
root (hd0,5) to root (hd0,1)
and
/dev/hda6 to /dev/hda2
twice
The number after root is to be different as that is "grub speak" and grub starts counting from zero
Save and reboot

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the advice all is fine now after i worked out what was what ,what a fantastic new computer language i have to learn
Sorry if the MAJOR letters offended you
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry if the MAJOR letters offended you
It yells at you from the page, and it is also customary in forums never to use capital letters except for very special cases
Welcome to Mint
Fred

Post by Fred »

It also makes it much harder to read, which is not what you want when asking for help with a problem. :-)

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”