Installing Software

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
r1bby

Installing Software

Post by r1bby »

Hi, newbie here (week old), I've managed to install LM, I have installed the OS onto the HDD, the graphics card is working & firefox internet is also working, trouble is I now need directing on how to install third party software. I use the install manager, install downloaded programs, only to find all the files are greyed out and I am unable to load them, am I doing something wrong? I try logging on as 'root' and my password (as set up in user section) and it says invalid. I can't log on as Root at all is this normal? Should I be logging on as Root or through my normal user? Are there *.exe style files that load programs that I should be looking for or does it not work that way?

The files I am trying to load are adobe acrobat, scanner driver software & something else I can't remember, but basically linux based software. I fancy installing the compiz based OS attachment but going to their main website and trying to find an 'install here' type button is not there. Is this normal for Linux based software, am I expecting too much or looking for a windows style answer? I have no idea!? I know it's my mindset, but where to start...

Also opening screens and typing DOS style stuff is new to me (for want of a better explanation, many years win XP user - sorry!) so if you can explain things easier / lamens terms / direct me to helpful websites, (rather than 'just google it') I have found loads but all too vague and they never answer my questions about installing software in a novice style manner.

I also could do with guidance / directions on how to install bluetooth (I have a dongle), iTunes/iPod, & win based software. Ideally I want to part ways with Win XP, and transfer everything across.

I have purchased the linux for dummies book (8th edition) hopefully to shed some light on the subject and to educate me better on this new OS, any further recommended reading which will prove helpful would be greatly received, thanks! Many questions, many places to start...

P.S. Loving LM so far - is it OK to abbreviate to LM or should it be LinuxMint or Linux Mint?! :-p

Regards, R1bby.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installing Software

Post by 67GTA »

The package manager won't install downloaded software. There are several relevant ways to do it depending on the type of software, and what format the package is in. Take a look at this page. You might want to bookmark it until you get the hang of things. It even has videos of some of the topics. If this doesn't answer all of your questions, then post back and ask away.

http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntuinstall/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

r1bby wrote:Hi, newbie here (week old), I've managed to install LM, I have installed the OS onto the HDD, the graphics card is working & firefox internet is also working, trouble is I now need directing on how to install third party software. I use the install manager, install downloaded programs, only to find all the files are greyed out and I am unable to load them, am I doing something wrong? I try logging on as 'root' and my password (as set up in user section) and it says invalid. I can't log on as Root at all is this normal? Should I be logging on as Root or through my normal user? Are there *.exe style files that load programs that I should be looking for or does it not work that way?
What are you trying to install? Most software add an entry to the menu. If not, try pressing Alt+F2 then type in the application name in lower case. Linux does not work like Windows when it comes to launching software. Where Windows put a exe file and a ton of shortcuts all over your computer, Linux just use a launcher in /bin or /usr/sbin and use that to launch the software.
r1bby wrote: The files I am trying to load are adobe acrobat, scanner driver software & something else I can't remember, but basically linux based software. I fancy installing the compiz based OS attachment but going to their main website and trying to find an 'install here' type button is not there. Is this normal for Linux based software, am I expecting too much or looking for a windows style answer? I have no idea!? I know it's my mindset, but where to start...
LM comes with compiz preinstalled. As for general installation, use the repositories and Synaptic to install or the Software Portal. Linux Mint is a binary distribution, meaning it uses binary packages (similar to installing from *.exe files). You could also download the source code and compile it your self.
As for enabling Compiz, open Appearance, select desktop effects and turn em on. You might have to install proper graphics driver to get it to work, though.
r1bby wrote: Also opening screens and typing DOS style stuff is new to me (for want of a better explanation, many years win XP user - sorry!) so if you can explain things easier / lamens terms / direct me to helpful websites, (rather than 'just google it') I have found loads but all too vague and they never answer my questions about installing software in a novice style manner.
I don't think any Linux user feels the terminal in any way compares to DOS, it is way more powerful and useful than DOS. However, on how to "use it", I must say use and learn. It is really hard for me or any to help you use it unless we know what you want to do with it,
r1bby wrote: I also could do with guidance / directions on how to install bluetooth (I have a dongle), iTunes/iPod, & win based software. Ideally I want to part ways with Win XP, and transfer everything across.
Plug in the USB adapter, and post the out put of lsusb (<--- In "DOS" :)). As for Itunes, you are much better off using Amarok or Rhythmbox, if you only need it for your Ipod. As for getting the Ipod to work, in most cases it is plug and play, but some of them are a female dog to get to work, because of their overly proprietary nature and Apple's lack of interest in Linux support.
As for using Windows software, look at Wine, but I recommend you look for Linux equivalents rather than Wine.
r1bby wrote: I have purchased the linux for dummies book (8th edition) hopefully to shed some light on the subject and to educate me better on this new OS, any further recommended reading which will prove helpful would be greatly received, thanks! Many questions, many places to start...

P.S. Loving LM so far - is it OK to abbreviate to LM or should it be LinuxMint or Linux Mint?! :-p

Regards, R1bby.
Doesn't really matter, I prefer knowing what version you are using (I.E. Daryna) :)
Good luck with getting rid of Windows, and welcome to the world of freedom :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Where Windows uses .exe files to install software, as you use Linux Mint you should try to look for .deb files. You should be able to just double-click on them and then click the Install button on the window that pops up, and away you go.

If you have any problems (like dependency-stuff) then it should tell you what other programs you need to install.

If you want to install compiz, the best way of doing it is clicking Daryna (Start), Preferences, Appearance, Visual Effects, and click “Extra”. That gives you basic Compiz effects (you can move the Cube by pressing Ctrl+Alt and clicking with the mouse). If you want to change the options (like many people do) open a Terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install compizconfig-settings-manager
In my honest opinion, you should try looking for “Synaptic Package Manager” tutorials and help because that has a list of everything you could possibly need and a bunch of stuff you don't. Also, if you need any help getting anything to work, feel free to drop a fellow Windows-switcher and ditcher a PM and I'll answer it as soon as I can :)
r1bby

Post by r1bby »

Hi, thanks for your responses certainly a great deal of help and plenty for me to be getting on with, especially names of software that I should be looking for to set up and directions I should be taking to answer my queries.

I take it that the package manager is linked to the web to show you what's available for downloading, so if it's on the package manager you can download it! Rather than like Windows which shows you what's on your PC and that's it.
I read somewhere that Lego bricks is a good analagy for Linux & from what's I've seen so far I have to agree & it's starting to make sense :-)

I started downloading the compiz-fusion software following the instructions on the web, haven't tried it yet but hoping for good results when I get the time, hopefully tonight. If I get any more issues in installing software I shall be more descriptive in the issue to help you guys understand what I mean & once again thanks for all your help, much appreciated.
Regards,
R1bby
Fred

Post by Fred »

R1bby,

I would suggest you stick to using software from the repositories in the beginning. You are less likely to break things. As you become more comfortable you can try a .deb package that you might want that isn't in the repos.

Jumping directly into trying to compile your own software is going to make for a rather steep learning curve.

Fred
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

r1bby wrote:Hi, newbie here (week old), I've managed to install LM, I have installed the OS onto the HDD, the graphics card is working & firefox internet is also working, trouble is I now need directing on how to install third party software. I use the install manager, install downloaded programs, only to find all the files are greyed out and I am unable to load them, am I doing something wrong? I try logging on as 'root' and my password (as set up in user section) and it says invalid. I can't log on as Root at all is this normal? Should I be logging on as Root or through my normal user?
For day to day use you should log in as the user you created when you installed.

You only need to log in as "root" or "become root" via the sudo command for certain situations.

IF you activated the root account like a normal *nix then your have two users setup after the install.

User1: user: r1bby password: r1bbypassword
User2: user: root password: rootpassword

Ideally these should be two separate passwords.

So if you log in as root then you need roots password NOT your password, unless of course they are the same.

r1bby wrote: Are there *.exe style files that load programs that I should be looking for or does it not work that way?
Doesn't work that way in linux. An executable file can have a lot of names, not just *.exe whether a file is executable is controlled by its permissions:

Code: Select all

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root   root      52336 2007-07-31 08:13 top
all the stuff on the left side are the permissions, they indicate various things about the file like if its a directory, if its readable, writable, and executable and by who.

This example shows the top program which shows stats about the running process, you see the x in the permissions and this is an executable. Its not named, top.exe just top . It COULD be named top.exe, but you would run it as top.exe not just top

See Unix Permissions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system_permissions

*** PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS ARE BASED ON a Linux Mint Daryna KDE CE DVD Install *** I know nothing about gnome editions *****

If your not using Linux Mint Darnya KDE CE DVD Edition STOP HERE.
r1bby wrote: The files I am trying to load are adobe acrobat,
Go here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/

On the right side you will see:

Latest Downloads and a cute little penquin.

In that table, find the one that says "deb"

Click on it and and menu will come up asking what you want to do.

Save As Open With KPackage Cancel

Click on the Open with KPackage option.

The file will download and then you will have the option to do the actual install.

Click Install and then Install on the next window. This will do the actual install.

Click done after it installs the program.
r1bby wrote: scanner driver software
You need to install sane for scanning.

Check out:
http://www.sane-project.org/

Especially check the following to make sure your device is supported:
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

To install:

Click on the LM Button in the bottom left corner, then click System, then click Add/Remove Programs to start the adept manager.

You will be asked for the ROOT PASSWORD to start the adept program. Again root's password, not your user password.

Enter sane in the search box, and then put a check mark next to the sane program that comes up, then click apply changes to install.
r1bby wrote: I fancy installing the compiz based OS attachment
Afraid I can not help on this one. I don't use it.

r1bby wrote: but going to their main website and trying to find an 'install here' type button is not there. Is this normal for Linux based software, am I expecting too much or looking for a windows style answer? I have no idea!? I know it's my mindset, but where to start...
Basically forget everything you know about installing programs from the winslop world. It doesn't exist in *nix. There are similar steps, but none exactly like it.

There is not normally a "Install here" type link. You will be presented with a download option and then you might be presented with the following choices, as examples:

Source or tarball with a name like superduperprogram.tar.gz

RPM with a name like supderduperprogram.rpm

DEB with a name like superduperprogram.deb

You can use EITHER an Source/tarball or DEB. You can NOT USE RPM's (there are steps for more advanced users later, for now look for DEB or Source/tarball)

If you click on a deb you will get an option like adobe to use KPackage and install. Deb's are pretty close to the installer type programs you probably more familar with on winslop.

If you find a program your first choice probably should be to run Add/Remove software aka Adept and see if it will come up in a search there as it will be much easier to install and less chance of problems. Then fall back to download a DEB then a Source/Tarball.
r1bby wrote: Also opening screens and typing DOS style stuff is new to me (for want of a better explanation, many years win XP user - sorry!)
Just be aware that for alot of things in *nix this is the only way to do things, somethings its also quicker to do things in Konsole or command line interface aka cli mode. All depends on the task.

Example your going to have to use the konsole application to install source/taraball apps.
r1bby wrote: so if you can explain things easier / lamens terms / direct me to helpful websites, (rather than 'just google it')
Thats one of my huge pet peeves, if they ever make it so you reach thru the net and smack people up side the head ala Gibbs there are going to be some really sore heads out there. You notice this post provides the links and details. If I don't know anything about it I say so ala compiz, ipod, bluetooth.
r1bby wrote: I have found loads but all too vague and they never answer my questions about installing software in a novice style manner.
Alot of *nix users have an unfair advantage that they either been using *nix or some other OS like VMS and are intimate with the command line. I've done my share of it, and will admit that winslop has made me sloppy from my very cli laden and effective 4DOS setup before winslop took over.
r1bby wrote: I also could do with guidance / directions on how to install bluetooth (I have a dongle), iTunes/iPod, & win based software. Ideally I want to part ways with Win XP, and transfer everything across.
Another area I can not help in as I don't use bluetooth devices, or itunes or ipods. I think amarok and Rhythmbox have ways to connect ipod devices to transfer stuff. Hopefully one of the media players gurus will chime in.
Fred

Post by Fred »

rec9140,

Very good post sir. It is obvious you put time and effort into it. :-)

Fred
r1bby

Post by r1bby »

REC9140,
Thanks for your guidance, I've installed Adobe as per your guidance and I've also installed the Bluetooth via the package manager (I've installed all relevant Bluetooth files (via search) until it worked, I now have a bluetooth logo in the bottom left for my bluetooth dongle which is used to transfer my mobile phone pictures to my PC) I have now installed the scanner software and that now works too!

Return to “Beginner Questions”