Firefox crashing X

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blumf
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox crashing X

Post by blumf »

Mint 15 Cinnamon, 64-bit, Intel 3400 chipset/gfx

Been having problems with Firefox, seeing a lot of corrupt images displayed and occasionally when loading a page the whole X session jams up (mouse moves, but no click or other activity). I can <ctrl>+<alt>+F1 to a console to reboot, but that's about it.

Looks like some problem between FF and the GFX driver (I've seen something similar with an old Nouveau driver on another system, just used nVidia's own driver back then.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Firefox crashing X

Post by mdavies5 »

If you are determined to stick with Firefox I cannot help you. As a long time Firefox fan, I finally had to admit it is too flaky in many environments. I have had no problems with Chromium but found Google it a bit intrusive. I'm now trying Opera and have absolutely no problems or criticisms. I have similar h/w and OS as you.
Cheers, Mike
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Hmmm I have had ZERO! issues with Firefox 20,21,22,23 in KDE,Cinnamon,Ubuntu,Funduntu,Bodhi,Xfce Voyager,OpenSuse,Enlightment,Unity and Windows 7. Running older Ati 4350 on dual displays using the default open video drivers.

So general statements like
" I finally had to admit it is too flaky in many environments"
Just doesn't seem to ring true. Of course there are individuals due to hardware or flaky graphics drivers having issues.
But that isn't a Firefox fault. Firefox fault would quickly materialize across multiple hardware and OS platforms.
And would be obvious to all.
blumf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blumf »

Heh, been having problems with Opera on Android recently, although overall I rate the Opera team. Just a shame it's closed source.

Anyway, my problem looks similar to:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=892567
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67209

So a bug in the Intel driver that's being tweaked by recent Firefox releases.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

I have noticed the same thing, after about 5 crashes, I realized I was using Iceweasel each time. No more Mozilla browsers until they fix this.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
blumf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blumf »

Is this on you machine with the nVidia GFX chip? If so, is it the nouveau driver or nVidia's own?

Most reports seem to be on the Intel GFX:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cg ... corruption
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

blumf wrote:Is this on you machine with the nVidia GFX chip? If so, is it the nouveau driver or nVidia's own?

Most reports seem to be on the Intel GFX:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cg ... corruption
Yes, on this machine.

I am not using the proprietary driver, I am using the nouveau, so is nVidias driver more stable?
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
blumf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blumf »

Can't say with any authority, but I had hard system lock-ups with FF+nouveau (seemed to be related to image processing, certain images would do it) and haven't had a problem with nVidia's propitiatory driver. I just shrugged it off as nouveau being new and untested.

This is all on another machine running Slackware 13.37 with, IIRC, FF17, so a little out of date, but looks like the bug's still there if you're having problems currently.

Return to “Software & Applications”