THANK YOU Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
winstonfg0

THANK YOU Linux Mint

Post by winstonfg0 »

A BIG thank you to all the people who have made Mint possible. After three or so years of Vista getting slower and slower on me (around 8-9 minutes to boot until disks stopped rattling), it finally died on me this morning (couldn't get past the 'Welcome' screen, even with a System Restore). Luckily I had a couple of installation DVDs created for Mints 13 and 15, and an hour later was up and running (using Olivia). Everything works fabulously, including Eclipse, which I use a lot; and I can even play my MP4 movies.

The thing I was most worried about - my Lexmark laser printer, which is set up as a network printer - works as well. The admin software discovered it immediately, I installed the drivers with a click and printed off a test page. Perfect. Now THAT'S how software should work. Webcam: same thing. The only thing left is my scanner, but I have no doubt it will be similarly easy.

So I am now officially an "ex-Windows user", thanks to you guys, and wondering why I didn't do it ages ago. :D

A couple of quick qeustions:
1. I notice that the software manager no longer shows OpenOffice any more; eveything is LibreOffice. Is this likely to cause me any problems, because my laptop (running an earlier version of Mint) has OpenOffice on it. I suppose I could install LibreOffice on that too, but I'm rather partial to OO.
2. There don't seem to be many Desktop display options, even if I use the "Advanced" window. Specifically, I can't see where to set a screensaver (I like the fireworks one).

Thanks again.

Winston
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: THANK YOU Linux Mint

Post by daveinuk »

Hello,

You should find that Libre office deals with all your OO files fine, Libre replaced it some time ago, I changed to it a good while back on an XP machine and Linux machines, haven't come across any problems as yet, including MS doc's. Not too sure on the screensaver, check synaptic package manager to see if it's listed there as installed, seem to recall some threads a while back about this but not entirely sure now, if you don't find it there, look through the available options and right click on the one that takes your fancy and mark for installation.

Welcome to mint by the way :)
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Libre Office is a fork of Open Office... Most of the Libre Office team came from Open Office... A few years ago, Sun Microsystems was purchased by Oracle (IIRC)... Oracle corp was not as "open source" friendly and a large portion of the Open Office team left and formed Libre Office. You should find no format compatibility problems. I use Libre every day and many of the files I open, edit, and save are MS Word 2000 format. Libre handles them with ease - exactly the same way that Open Office used to.

Congratulations on ditching Windows - enjoy the Mint! :)
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
winstonfg0

Post by winstonfg0 »

Thanks both for your answers. Pretty much confirms what I thought.

Two last questions:

1. I presume I can load an alternate desktop like KDE without too much problem.

2. I notice that Mint 15 is only supported until Jan 2014, and I'm wondering if you think it would be better to install 13 (the long-term support version) rather than this one. If it doesn't make much difference, then I'll probably leave it as is, because everything's working so well; but I'd be interested in opinions before I get too far down the road of config and loading packages.

Thanks for the welcome; and like I say, I'm amazed it took me so long to let go of my Windows security blanket, because I was a Solaris admin for 15 years and have been running Mint on my laptop for nearly 5.

Winston
Myrmidon83

Re: Re: THANK YOU Linux Mint

Post by Myrmidon83 »

winstonfg0 wrote:
Two last questions:

2. I notice that Mint 15 is only supported until Jan 2014, and I'm wondering if you think it would be better to install 13 (the long-term support version) rather than this one. If it doesn't make much difference, then I'll probably leave it as is, because everything's working so well; but I'd be interested in opinions before I get too far down the road of config and loading packages.
My old scanner purchased for win 98 stopped working with upgrading to XP many years ago. 3 years ago I ditched windows completely for mint 10 & tried the scanner expecting nothing, was delighted it worked better than it used to. :grin:

As for your qns:

1. 'Usually' this is OK, the only times I had problems were having mate & cinnamon on at the same time but any other combination worked OK. I do prefer full installs tho. I have now settled on mint 13 KDE which I can highly recommend tho like me you might want to clean up some of the taskbars for KDE programs as its a bit overwhelming. :P

2. This is your choice, newer versions have newer software, kernels etc so usually newer features however with this can come glitches which may end up not being fixed until a next release. I prefer LTS releases as I can't be bothered updating every 6 months, though through back ports & manual update of kernels you can keep your LTS up to date (tho sometimes hairy with kernel updates).

With Linux you have choice, its up to you. Hope some of that helped. :cool:

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

winstonfg0 wrote:A BIG thank you to all the people who have made Mint possible. After three or so years of Vista getting slower and slower on me (around 8-9 minutes to boot until disks stopped rattling), it finally died on me this morning (couldn't get past the 'Welcome' screen, even with a System Restore). Luckily I had a couple of installation DVDs created for Mints 13 and 15, and an hour later was up and running (using Olivia). Everything works fabulously, including Eclipse, which I use a lot; and I can even play my MP4 movies.

The thing I was most worried about - my Lexmark laser printer, which is set up as a network printer - works as well. The admin software discovered it immediately, I installed the drivers with a click and printed off a test page. Perfect. Now THAT'S how software should work. Webcam: same thing. The only thing left is my scanner, but I have no doubt it will be similarly easy.

So I am now officially an "ex-Windows user", thanks to you guys, and wondering why I didn't do it ages ago. :D

A couple of quick qeustions:
1. I notice that the software manager no longer shows OpenOffice any more; eveything is LibreOffice. Is this likely to cause me any problems, because my laptop (running an earlier version of Mint) has OpenOffice on it. I suppose I could install LibreOffice on that too, but I'm rather partial to OO.
2. There don't seem to be many Desktop display options, even if I use the "Advanced" window. Specifically, I can't see where to set a screensaver (I like the fireworks one).

Thanks again.

Winston
1. OpenOffice.org was discontinued. Forks are LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice. To try the latter (if it is not in Synaptic Package Manager), you can do this from a terminal window, which will add a PPA to your sources list and install AOO:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/openoffice 
sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get install apache-openoffice
2. Try right-clicking on the desktop and exploring the menu choices that you find. Without knowing the specific version of Mint you're using (IOW, Xfce, MATE, et cetera), it's hard to give useful specific responses, but I'd start with that and if that doesn't help, look for some kind of "settings" option in your main menu. Also, for more screensavers than you can shake a stick at (when you find how to change them) - maybe over 100, IDK - search in Synaptic for xscreensaver and install some/all of the packages that you find (xscreensaver, xscreensaver-gl, xscreensaver-gl-extra, xscreensaver-data, xscreensaver-data-extra, etc.). Note that marking some packages for installation will automatically mark some others, so you will not have to mark (/double-click) every one of them. At that point, I would then uninstall the gnome-screensaver package (if it happens to be installed); using the xscreensaver frontend, instead, allows one the option of setting the options in the individual screensaver "hacks" (as they are called).

(Implied) 0. Now that you have Mint installed, suggest you install an anti-virus app and use it to scan your Vista partition(s), sounds like you've got unwanted "guests" living in your Vista house :lol: . Eight or nine minutes just to boot, wow.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

winstonfg0 wrote:Thanks both for your answers. Pretty much confirms what I thought.

Two last questions:

Thanks for the welcome; and like I say, I'm amazed it took me so long to let go of my Windows security blanket, because I was a Solaris admin for 15 years and have been running Mint on my laptop for nearly 5.

Winston
I would do a fresh install to change DEs... and if you are going to go with KDE, I would (as long as your doing a fresh install) go with Mint 13 as it will be supported until 2017. Of course you could just stay with 15 for now and at its end of support life you could wait a month or two until April/May 2014 which is when the next LTS (Mint 17) is scheduled for release. Mint 17 will be supported until 2019! :D
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
winstonfg0

Post by winstonfg0 »

MtnDewManiac wrote:Now that you have Mint installed, suggest you install an anti-virus app and use it to scan your Vista partition(s), sounds like you've got unwanted "guests" living in your Vista house :lol: . Eight or nine minutes just to boot, wow.
Yeah. I just got used to it. Get up, login, go have a shower, and it would generally be stable by the time I got back. :)

I can't tell you how nice it is to be using a proper system now. It's like having a new machine; and now that I've got everything pretty much as I used to it's actually quite difficult to see I'm running a new OS.

I actually installed Mint as standalone, so I wiped Vista from my C drive; but I actually have a two-drive system and so left the D drive as SMB. Works great.

Do you have any recommendation for an AV? I used to use AVG, but don't know if there's a better one around for Linux - or even if it's really needed.

Thanks for all your help.

Winston
winstonfg0

Post by winstonfg0 »

Reorx wrote:I would do a fresh install to change DEs... and if you are going to go with KDE, I would (as long as your doing a fresh install) go with Mint 13 as it will be supported until 2017. Of course you could just stay with 15 for now and at its end of support life you could wait a month or two until April/May 2014 which is when the next LTS (Mint 17) is scheduled for release. Mint 17 will be supported until 2019! :D
Yup. I think that's what I'm going to do. I've got everything working pretty much as I want now, so I'm not likely to need a lot of updates.

One last question (and I promise it's the last :) ): I installed XScreenSaver so that I could run SkyRockets (my fave ss), but the audio doesn't seem to work; same thing on Skype notifications (the rest of Skype works just fine). It's not wildly important, but was just wondering if anyone else had run into the same thing.

And thank you very much for all your advice.

Winston
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

winstonfg0 wrote:Do you have any recommendation for an AV? I used to use AVG, but don't know if there's a better one around for Linux - or even if it's really needed.

Thanks for all your help.

Winston
If you are asking about an AV to protect your Linux machine - you don't need one although I DO recommend 2 Firefox add-ons for safer browsing > NoScript and WOT. "Unprotected" browsers can have vulnerabilities that can leave them open to shenanigans from misbehaving websites...

Image Image Image
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

winstonfg0 wrote:
Winston

Yup. Me too. Have never bothered to look back either. Glad you made the change.
winstonfg0

Post by winstonfg0 »

Reorx wrote:If you are asking about an AV to protect your Linux machine - you don't need one although I DO recommend 2 Firefox add-ons for safer browsing > NoScript and WOT. "Unprotected" browsers can have vulnerabilities that can leave them open to shenanigans from misbehaving websites...
Done. Thanks Reorx.

Winston

Return to “Beginner Questions”