Nvidia and Cinnamon is it possible?

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules

Nvidia and Cinnamon is it possible?

Postby rdonnelly on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:08 pm

I wanted to use Firefox, so I installed the Nvidia-GLX drivers cause the Noveau drivers cause X to crash, when I restarted Cinnamon would only work in fallback mode, I searched around and all I could find is that this combo would not work? Is any one successfully using this combo and how?

I used to use Gnome 3, and now I have a Cinnamon desktop just the way I want it.

TIA Bob
The OS: Linux Mint 17.3 KDE
The Hardware: Dell 17R Special Edition, Intel Quad Core, i7 - 3.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, HD 1TB
Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
The Name: Bob
rdonnelly
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:38 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Nvidia and Cinnamon is it possible?

Postby nomko on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:54 pm

rdonnelly wrote:I wanted to use Firefox, so I installed the Nvidia-GLX drivers

Eeehhmmm.....installing NVidia drivers to use Firefox???? For what reason??? Firefox will work anyway...no matter what brand/model/type videocard and/or GPU you're having.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :?

rdonnelly wrote: cause the Noveau drivers cause X to crash, when I restarted Cinnamon would only work in fallback mode, I searched around and all I could find is that this combo would not work? Is any one successfully using this combo and how?
I used to use Gnome 3, and now I have a Cinnamon desktop just the way I want it.
TIA Bob


Copy/paste the output of the following terminal command here:
Code: Select all
inxi -G
User avatar
nomko
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3030
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:28 pm
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Re: Nvidia and Cinnamon is it possible?

Postby rdonnelly on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:27 pm

nomko wrote:
rdonnelly wrote:I wanted to use Firefox, so I installed the Nvidia-GLX drivers

Eeehhmmm.....installing NVidia drivers to use Firefox???? For what reason??? Firefox will work anyway...no matter what brand/model/type videocard and/or GPU you're having.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :?

rdonnelly wrote: cause the Noveau drivers cause X to crash, when I restarted Cinnamon would only work in fallback mode, I searched around and all I could find is that this combo would not work? Is any one successfully using this combo and how?
I used to use Gnome 3, and now I have a Cinnamon desktop just the way I want it.
TIA Bob
[/quote]

Copy/paste the output of the following terminal command here:
Code: Select all
inxi -G[code][/quote]

[code]Graphics:  Card-1 Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller Card-2 NVIDIA Device 0fd1 X.Org 1.12.4 Res: 1600x900@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile  GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4


Maybe take a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=47&t=141952

FF crashes X pretty regularly for me?
The OS: Linux Mint 17.3 KDE
The Hardware: Dell 17R Special Edition, Intel Quad Core, i7 - 3.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, HD 1TB
Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
The Name: Bob
rdonnelly
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Nvidia and Cinnamon is it possible?

Postby nomko on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:25 am

Try installing the Bumblebee driver for NVidia.
User avatar
nomko
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3030
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:28 pm
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Re: Nvidia and Cinnamon is it possible?

Postby rdonnelly on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:22 am

FF just got an update yesterday, I am going to see how it works for now, but thanks for the Bumblebee idea, I will try that if the FF crashes x again.
The OS: Linux Mint 17.3 KDE
The Hardware: Dell 17R Special Edition, Intel Quad Core, i7 - 3.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, HD 1TB
Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
The Name: Bob
rdonnelly
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Nvidia and Cinnamon is it possible?

Postby rdonnelly on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:31 pm

So I installed the Bumblebee drivers right after I got my first X crash. :mrgreen:

I am going to open the link I thought caused it and see how it goes?
The OS: Linux Mint 17.3 KDE
The Hardware: Dell 17R Special Edition, Intel Quad Core, i7 - 3.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, HD 1TB
Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
The Name: Bob
rdonnelly
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:38 pm


Return to Hardware Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests