Installation Instructions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Installation Instructions

Post by Oscar799 »

For installation instructions and information to help you set up your new system download the Mint User Guide
http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FireSoul
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Installation Instructions

Post by FireSoul »

Oscar799 wrote:For installation instructions and information to help you set up your new system download the Mint User Guide
http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php

I hope this can help new users to come mint user.

I'm using this for laptops.Many times for my own 2 laptop and few time to my friends 2002-2010 laptops,my now HP 625 32bit /AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor × 2/ram was 2G,now 4G DDR3 used 3.7 /Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880 and Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon.
We know components of computer give different results.

Go to mint sites http://www.linuxmint.com/

Click new Linux Mint Cinnamon LTS.Xfce LTS version is light version.
Take 32 bit ,or 64 bit so as your computer.
You can load torrent,or mirror .As load mirror there are you languages more.
It's better load DVD ISO,there are more ready,don't need so much updates.
Burn your isofile to DVD.
When your computer open ,put DVD to DVD drive and restart computer.
If computer ask start from DVD press enter.
Some computers have to set from bios to allow DVD start,them need
to press esc, f2, f8,or f10 to get bios settings.Maybe other f number too.

First is better start from DVD and see how your DVD works.
It's longer load from DVD,so wait as all loaded and main come seeing.
Now you can test movies from usb,or your hard drive.
All works in my computer using this way,only need load from DVD and slower than installed.
Check internet so you can update and use it.

If you want save something from your computer what there are,save them for usb stick,outside hard drive ,or DVD.
You can too install Linux Mint with other operating system,then use it
as intallion ask it,it's first choice.When choice this can use old system and new.
New system load on if don't choice in 10 sec.
Best choice is use only one system and format old.

If all works,install Linuxmint from mark at main.
As install program ask your language,set it you want and keys is good
to test.All special marks come right.
Install ask your time zone,if right press forward.
Install ask name you want to use and password.
Save password for some where you can find it later,you need it for updates and installs.

Wait so long as install ask if you want test more,or restart for get installion ready.
REMEMBE WAIT SO LONG AS DVD COME OUT FROM DVD DRIVE,THEN INSTALL IS READY.

First start with new Linux Mint new LTS.
There come inform at panel down.
Close help box.
It means updates,press it with left buttom of mouse.
Take updates here,them are this mint tested packages for this version.
Don't take packages from web browser,only if OP say in help chat you need them.

If you want,you can install antivirus from packages of mint.
Go START at panel down/Packages ,wait as all loaded seein.There are categorys and search for them.
Search antivirus and wait.
Install it and it's ok.

I'm using firewall too,it's installed for Mint DVD ISO,but activate it and set coming deny,going allow and from preferences to medium.
Press firewall on.

I hope this can help new users come mint user.
Last edited by FireSoul on Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
honthraj

Post by honthraj »

If I might add, since I just discovered this.

If you are attempting to install Linux Mint 14 on an Oracle Virtual Box running on Windows 7 64bit, when setting up the Virtual Box, choose Ubuntu as the Linux operating system. If you choose Linux 2.6 kernel, it will boot, but it will freeze before ever getting to the Linux Start Screen.
Tirnaog

Post by Tirnaog »

Is there a cinnamon version of this PDF?
westaussie

Post by westaussie »

About a few months ago, I purchased a new laptop, after the last one suddenly "went west." I had Mint 11 installed on that laptop via Mint4Win. The installation through windows was great, with a smooth and hassle free installation. Having liked 11, I decided to do the same, and install Maya 64- bit version through Windows. From the reading through the forums, I sensed that after Mint is installed, that the full installation needs to be completed via the desktop installation. When I proceeded with the process, I came across the partitioning section. Before, Mint 11 did everything for me. Now, I'm faced with this decision with the partitioning. Hmmm! If I select the hard drive, and install the complete installation, will that erase Windows from the hard drive? I do not want this is happen. I have checked out the user manual. From my observation, I could not any information on the process on full installation of Mint inside Windows. Is there any documentation in going through this full process?
skywave

Post by skywave »

This guide is probably very well intended - but seriously - the grammar and spelling is both shocking and hilarious!
I don't say that it need to be 100% correct - but since it apparently figures as a major (official LM?) help thread - wouldn't it be wise to have someone spell- and grammarcheck it before uploading it to the eagerly awaiting masses?
You can even use online checkers which can correct a major part of all the errors.
The text above is a disgrace to the English language.

Apart from this I do not see anything about the initial installation setup regarding partitioning - which is actually a very important part.
lsatenstein

Re: Installation Instructions Are Incomplete

Post by lsatenstein »

I have other operating systems on my /dev/sda , /dev/sdb and /sdc. My /dev/sdd was emptied and had only an empty partition.

I took the liveCD for Mint15, and pointed it to /dev/sdd (an empty disk of 250gigs)

Even though I pointed the installer to /dev/sdd and Mint15 was installed on /dev/sdd, for some un-understood reason the Mint Installer ignored the fact that the disk was dedicated to it, and overwrote /dev/sda mbr. This deletes access to many other distributions on my development system. Worse, the installer program showed me my disk before the formatting and installation of the software, but did not indicate that the grub2-install would point to the very first drive.

I would not mind, but grub2- and os2-prober do not appear to recognize all my installed distributions.
MikeF90000

Re: Installation Instructions Are Incomplete

Post by MikeF90000 »

lsatenstein wrote:Even though I pointed the installer to /dev/sdd and Mint15 was installed on /dev/sdd, for some un-understood reason the Mint Installer ignored the fact that the disk was dedicated to it, and overwrote /dev/sda mbr. This deletes access to many other distributions on my development system. Worse, the installer program showed me my disk before the formatting and installation of the software, but did not indicate that the grub2-install would point to the very first drive.

I would not mind, but grub2- and os2-prober do not appear to recognize all my installed distributions.
This is a little puzzling. Mint uses the Ubuntu ibiquity installer and the 'Something Else' manual partition select option clearly shows 'Device for boot loader' pull down list on the lower half of the screen. Device /dev/sda is indeed the default and must be changed in your case.

More puzzling is that grub2 didn't find other installations. The only kind I've had an issue with are 'frugal installs' like Puppy and TInyCore use; it always finds 'full' Linux and Windows partitions for me. I have to add the frugal ones manually after in one of the 'custom' script files in /etc/grub.d .

Another recovery option you have is to boot the Super GRUB2 disk: [url]http://www.supergrubdisk.org/[/url] It will find installed Linux distros and let you boot one of them. Once up and running, you can rerun grub-install from your preferred partition.

Hope this helps!
AngeloGomes

Post by AngeloGomes »

Hi All, I am trying to install Linux mint 15 mate on a just new and fresh computer but no success until now. I am using the DVD with the iso. The installation starts, everything is fine until the first reboot when it says to remove the dvd. I remove it but then it reboots and says that there is not boot or properly device. I don´t know what is happening.

The system, as I said, is new one, with nothing installed, the specs are:

Intel DH87RL mobo
i7-4770 CPU
16 GB ram
1T seagate HDD
Fraggosyko

Post by Fraggosyko »

Same problem like the above. Tried to instal mint 15 cinnamonx64 from a usb bootable flash memory. Everythink was according to he manual but after rebooting without the usb flash the computer does noy start saying that there is not boot or properly device. The irony is that my laptop had windows 8 installed and I overwrote them to instal mint... now I don't have any operation system, no laptop...snif!!!!
I will try again the mate versionb ut I'm sure that the same will happen and I will also try to use the x32bit, lets see....
nisha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nisha »

westaussie wrote:About a few months ago, I purchased a new laptop, after the last one suddenly "went west." I had Mint 11 installed on that laptop via Mint4Win. The installation through windows was great, with a smooth and hassle free installation. Having liked 11, I decided to do the same, and install Maya 64- bit version through Windows. From the reading through the forums, I sensed that after Mint is installed, that the full installation needs to be completed via the desktop installation. When I proceeded with the process, I came across the partitioning section. Before, Mint 11 did everything for me. Now, I'm faced with this decision with the partitioning. Hmmm! If I select the hard drive, and install the complete installation, will that erase Windows from the hard drive? I do not want this is happen. I have checked out the user manual. From my observation, I could not any information on the process on full installation of Mint inside Windows. Is there any documentation in going through this full process?
Some time back I have attempted to make a detailed guide on manual partition and installation of dual boot windows 7 + linux, posting the link to the guide here

[url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=52265[/url]

Nisha
Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system.
AngeloGomes

Post by AngeloGomes »

Got It and FIXED !!!

I just remember that an onld laptop with windows 7 and I wanted to downgrade to Win Xp last week. I Xp simply did not install. So Ifound the problem was that win7 did some mess to the partitions and I found a url to boot from a USB flash with a partition software.

http://twenty5nov.blogspot.com.br/2012/06/run-minitool-partition-wizard-home.html

Today I realize that this my new fresh computer came pre-installed with Win7 too. Damn it !!!
Just used that partition software to erase, kill and send to hell that fu#$@ing win 7 partition and voilá...... I got LINUX Mint 64 installed !!!
Fraggosyko

Post by Fraggosyko »

AngeloGomes wrote:Got It and FIXED !!!

I just remember that an onld laptop with windows 7 and I wanted to downgrade to Win Xp last week. I Xp simply did not install. So Ifound the problem was that win7 did some mess to the partitions and I found a url to boot from a USB flash with a partition software.

http://twenty5nov.blogspot.com.br/2012/06/run-minitool-partition-wizard-home.html

Today I realize that this my new fresh computer came pre-installed with Win7 too. Damn it !!!
Just used that partition software to erase, kill and send to hell that fu#$@ing win 7 partition and voilá...... I got LINUX Mint 64 installed !!!
Thanks for the tip, I think that THIS is exactly the problem, messed up partitions from my first attempt to install mint where Itried to make the partitions manually so that I could have a double boot system.... well, if mint can be installed with this tip who needs a double boot system?

I'm looking foreward to try it out, tommorow afternoon...
torchwood

Post by torchwood »

same here totally screwed up my partitions.
in Nisha's post you show manually/automatically create new partition, it just doesn't happen;
It just merrily overwrites, in my case my C(main) & D(WHAT was my recovery OEM).
Mirrored from both UK iso download sites.

NB note it was running fine using it in desktop mode.
mroy2012
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mroy2012 »

Trying to install linux mint in compatability mode on a dell inspiron 1525. It doesn't seem to want to boot from compatability mode or normal mode. Maybe due to the laptop not meeting system requirements of linux mint 13 maya? Please help.
moderno12

Post by moderno12 »

Ho un pc con win8 dual core 2.3 ghz 4 ghz ram un hdd da 250 dove è installato win8 e un hdd da 500 dove vorrei installare linux mint 15. Ho scaricato il file e masterizzato su dvd, inizio l'installazione (spegnendo il pc - avviandolo tramite dvd - e facendo partire l'installazione dal dvd stesso) ma quando arrivo alla schermata della partizione da scegliere, non mi da niente; premendo i pulsanti + o - il sistema va in crash, premendo installa mi dice che non trova il file di root.
Qualcuno mi può dire come devo fare per installarlo?
Premetto che sono un neofita del mondo linux.
Grazie
vaikz

Post by vaikz »

Any help please.
Tried installing mint 16 on one of my old pc, its an amd with via graphics onboard. I'm using grub4dos iso mapping, usb boot installation.
The livecd boot successfully, can see the desktop. But after a couple of minutes, the screen goes distorted. It's like a tv w/o a signal. And also the system freezes, kb.
Can somebody help please. I was able to boot this before but I forgot what boot cheat codes I use.

Sent from my LG-P700 using Tapatalk
Dark Soul Cowboy

Post by Dark Soul Cowboy »

I found all these instructions not helpful at all. I burned the CD. I looked up each installation step on Youtube. Youtube version of burned disc has different stuff than my burned disc. So I burned next one... Same result. I burned next disc from the different source. Same situation. I put these discs (few times) and started, restarted, boot, reboot my computer.... I naver had an option to use,install of even see Linux... I also used torrents. From torrents I got a virus, maybe 40 different adwares and malwares. It crashed my computer and I had to spent more than 10 hours to clean that mess up. I do not understand why it is not possible to download Linux as everything else. Why that CD and USB mess...? After these experiences I am sure that I am not messing with Linux anymore. It is too complicated to install. I know...everyone said it is too easy...Easy is to buy a CD, put in t=your computer and instal it. Or to open web and download it (to PC or flash). It is easy deal. No need to burn CD, extract this or that, seed this or that.... Too much drama. Idea is - user friendly system. However.... It is not the case. Anyone wants to prove me different?
drvlas

Post by drvlas »

nisha wrote:Some time back I have attempted to make a detailed guide
...and a very good one, I'd said! Being a complete newbie in Linux, I read a lot now and try to draw conclusions. Your post is one of the best, sure!

BTW, your recommendations are slightly different from the way I do. Namely: you make a /boot partition. ASAIK it can be left to the installation program - so I make only root, swap and home. But after reading your post I wandered whether it can have some sense in my problem? Could the creating of a boot partition help me to deal with such kind of problems?
Langley88

Post by Langley88 »

Its nice supportive language are used in this post I like very much the review of this fashionable post and subscribe it so give more details about..

Return to “Installation & Boot”