Openbox questions

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joshuar9476

Openbox questions

Post by joshuar9476 »

I had to switch from Crunchbang because it didn't play nice with my new laptop. I had previously used Mint, so here I am again.

I really became used to OB. I have it up and running, and for the most part, working the way i'd like. However, I figured out that xfce4-settings-manager opens up most of the settings I need.

My questions:
I still need command lines for some type of printer configuration, time & date, and the login window program.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Openbox questions

Post by viking777 »

It depends what you are using as a base, if it is Cinnamon then cinnamon-settings will give you date/time and printers. mdmsetup is the login window. If you are using mate as a base I don't know the answer.
joshuar9476

Post by joshuar9476 »

sorry ... i had originally posted this in the xfce forum, as that's what version of mint i'm using.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

I am in the same position. I am using Crunchbang 11 and am now using Mint 15 xfce edition. I love using Openbox and need to know how to get itrr working in Mint 15 xfce. I will install Openbox, obconfig and obmenu. Is there anything else I need to do other than set up the Openbox menu to my liking and maybe install tint2?
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show every Sunday from noon-2pm or 89.1 fM
joshuar9476

Post by joshuar9476 »

for compositing i installed Compton. personal preference.
Syncopate

Post by Syncopate »

Seems like a lot of us are moving from Crunchbang. Mine was that running pure Debian was more trouble than its worth when developers are focusing on compatibility with Ubuntu repos.

Anyway, coming from XFCE, you probably just want to make sure you have the following installed:

tint2, conky, gsimplecal, and volumeicon-alsa

As far as time/date, I use tint2 and gsimplecal to do that (unless you're talking about changing time zones, in which case I had to do that manually before), and I also use a lua script to display it in conky.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

I'm back! My previous post mentioned I was running mint 15. I just installed mint 16 and ended up deleting Crunchbang from my laptop. Like was previously mentioned, I found it too much trouble but love the Openbox way of doing things. What I would like to do is login to an openbox session and have it behave the way it did in Crunchbang. I guess that first order of business would be to install Openbox, OB config, OBMenu, tint2, and just modify the autostart file after I am logged into Openbox?
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show every Sunday from noon-2pm or 89.1 fM
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

I shouldn't be plugging other distros in a Mint forum, but have you tried Semplice Linux? It's based on Debian Sid (so may work on your hardware), Openbox, but less manual editing of configuration files than in Crunchbang.

Return to “Software & Applications”