Add Document Shortcut to Panel (Solved)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TeXaCo

Add Document Shortcut to Panel (Solved)

Post by TeXaCo »

I am trying out Xfce desktop coming from KDE. Can anybody help me out on how to add a shortcut to a word document onto the panel in Xcfe. I know you can add a launcher but I am not familiar with all the commands. I figured out what to put in to open a folder but not a single file.

Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: Add Document Shortcut to Panel

Post by caribriz »

Hi TeXaCo -

If I understand correctly - you want to click a panel shortcut and have it open a Word document in LibreOffice Writer???

If so - this will create a panel shortcut to open a Word document called, for example, My-file.docx from Documents folder with LibreOffice Writer -

Create the launcher in the panel -

Right-click Panel > click Panel > Add new items > click Launcher > Add > close
Move launcher up the list, if desired
Right-click the new launcher in the panel > click Properties > General tab > click 2nd icon down on the right - "Add a new empty item"

Fill in the fields, for my example:
Name: My-file
Command: lowriter /home/my-user-name/Documents/My-file.docx
Icon: click "No icon" button > click down arrow next to "Select icon from" > File type icons > application-msword

If it was just a plain text file, you could use this command in the launcher instead to open it in gedit:
gedit /home/my-user-name/Documents/My-file
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The following isn't a better way nor is it any more intuitive than the one outlined above - it's just another way:

[1] Create the launcher on the desktop first:

Right Click the desktop > Create launcher.
Give it a name and icon and enter the command to wherever your file is located:

Code: Select all

lowriter /home/my-user-name/Documents/My-file.docx
Note: Double click this new launcher to make sure it works. You will likely get a "do you want to make it executable" message which you want to do.

[2] Then put it on the panel.

2 ways to do this:

*** Drag and drop it onto the panel.
This seems to depend on humidity levels and sun spot activity to work successfully but it can be done.

*** Right click the desktop launcher > Open with "Create Launcher on the panel"
It will ask you which panel if you have multiple.

You can then right click > move to place it exactly where you want it on the panel since by default it places it on the far right side of the panel where you would most likely never place it yourself.

Once it's on the panel you can remove the launcher on the desktop itself.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
TeXaCo

Post by TeXaCo »

Both of you guys are awesome!! Both ways work perfect. I now have shortcuts on the panel for the documents I need.

I do have another question if you don't mind.

To get it to work I needed to remove the spaces in the name of the document. Is there a way that I could type the command for it to recognize the space in a name? It's not a big deal. I can rename the ones I need, I just figured I would ask.

Thanks again
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Put quotes around the entire path, for example:

Code: Select all

lowriter "/home/my-user-name/Documents/Something with Spaces.docx"
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

This is more an FYI but if you are running out of real estate because of all these launchers you can use the technique posted by caribriz to make one of your new launchers have a sub-menu of launchers.

Right click the launcher you just created and select Properties > General Tab.

You will notice down the right side the fourth button down - looks like a page with a "+" sign on the bottom left side of the page. Use that to create another launcher to another file. When you select close your original panel icon changes to include a little arrow next to it. If you select that arrow it will point to the 2nd , 3rd, 4th .. launcher you might create.

You end up with a launcher that has a sub-menu of launchers within it.
TeXaCo

Post by TeXaCo »

Awesome! It works perfect.

Thank you so much for the help. I really do appreciate it.

Return to “Xfce”