My Places sidebar tree is missing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
swwing17

My Places sidebar tree is missing

Post by swwing17 »

I've spent an hour searching the LM forum, Google, DDG, etc. Can someone tell me why my Places menu is at the top and not on the left side in tree view.
The left sidebar just disappeared. There is no option for it in my View menu. I've just installed Mint 15 Mate 32-bit. It seems like it should be a simple fix.
Thanks for any help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: My Places sidebar tree is missing

Post by xenopeek »

Without a screenshot, I'm not much following your description of the issue. Do you mean the side pane isn't visible in Caja? Then toggle it to display again in the View menu (or F9). Do you mean you want to see a tree view in the side pane in Caja? Then select that by clicking on the down arrow icon at the top of the side pane.
swwing17

Post by swwing17 »

Here's a screenshot:
Screenshot-1.png

There is no option in View menu. F9 does nothing.
Thanks
Last edited by swwing17 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'm not able to reproduce that view. Is it even Caja? Caja settings are I believe stored in GSettings now, and I don't know of a way to reset these. I'm not even sure where in your home folder is the file that has these settings. Perhaps somebody will know how to reset Caja to default view, without having to create a new user account (which is all I can come up with now, as even deleting the folders like .config/caja and .config/dconf don't reset Caja to its default view).

All that said, I can restore Caja to its default view by toggling options in its View menu. Below a screenshot of the worst I could make Caja look, almost matching your view though I have "Go Bookmarks" menu options where you have "Places" instead. If I enable the Main Toolbar, Side Pane, Location Bar and Status Bar, I'm back to normal view. Included the contents of my View menu for you to compare to yours.

[rimg]http://i.imgur.com/xK160S2.png[/rimg]
swwing17

Post by swwing17 »

"Reset View to Defaults" is one of the first things I tried, and unfortunately w/ no success. I think this happened when I installed LM 14 also, but some how I found a solution. I think that maybe it seemed so simple that I didn't document the procedure, but I've not even come close to finding anyone elso who's described the same problem. BTW, it is Caja that's being used.
Thanks for your help, so far, though. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

swwing17 wrote:"Reset View to Defaults"
That doesn't do anything here, that is for how files and folders are shown. You should toggle to enable the things I mentioned from your view menu.
swwing17

Post by swwing17 »

When I click on "View", the drop-down menu only shows:
Stop
Reload
Reset View to Defaults
Show Hidden Files
Arrange Items
Organize by Name
Zoom In
Zoom Out
Normal Size
Icons
List
Compact

* (sorry, screenshot doesn't work when drop-down list is showing)
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

So you'r saying that when you click on "VIEW" you're missing some of the stuff in my screenshot?
Are you using Mint15 wiith Mate and Caja version 1.6.1?
Can you use the "GO" or "BOOKMARKS" options and what happens when you try that?
PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.

Return to “MATE”