[Solved] LMDE with KDE desktop

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeMus

[Solved] LMDE with KDE desktop

Post by DeMus »

Hi,

I am sure this has been asked many times before but I can't find it here in the forums since the only answer I get when looking for LMDE and KDE is that my search items are too common.

So, is there, or will there be, an LMDE version with KDE? I ask that since I think KDE is the only desktop I want to see on my screen. It is amazing.
I skipped to KDE when Gnome 3 was released with not much later Unity. At that moment I stopped using Ubuntu and made my way to Mint which I still use, but with KDE.
I find Mate, Cinnamon, XFCE and LMDE so old fashion, so static, so Windows 98. When you first see the plasma desktop of KDE you will be amazed as well and after getting to know how to operate it you ever want to go back. Just like me.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: LMDE with KDE desktop

Post by Oscar799 »

No there isn't a KDE version of LMDE
There is a debian based KDE distro however http://solydxk.com/products/solydk/
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

No there will not be a KDE version. Only a Cinnamon and Mate.

If you want a distro based on Debian and KDE, look here : http://solydxk.com/products/solydk/
It was the LMDE KDE community version. It's a former dev of Mint team who is doing it. He has done DDM for example.
So that's mean that the disto are very similar but SolydK has way more often Upgrade Packs.

Or you can install LMDE and pick KDE from Debian repo. :wink:

edit : :shock: grilled for only a minute by Oscar :mrgreen:
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Just installed the KDE version of Solyd in a virtual machine. Am not ready yet to delete Mint 15 KDE, but it is looking good.
Thanks for the tip, I will keep testing it and when it remains stable then I might make the jump.

Thanks again.
Orbmiser

Re: [Solved] LMDE with KDE desktop

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep just installed SolydK Debian last week running great! :P
Everything worked out of the box but had to tweak and install a few things no biggie.
Having a separate /home helps a lot.

As moved from Mint 15 KDE to wanting to try Debian and a rolling release.
As got tired of doing clean installs every 6 months recommended kind of doings.

With separate /home just had to install Conky,Ntfs,Yawp weather and tweak themes.
Complete install and tweaking took about 30 mins.
Last edited by Orbmiser on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Moved topic here as this is no longer about LMDE.
741cc

Post by 741cc »

OpenSuse-12.3 KDE is a very attractive desktop out of the box, not something you can say about all KDE distros.
Not Debian based, but well worth a look.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

741cc wrote:OpenSuse-12.3 KDE is a very attractive desktop out of the box, not something you can say about all KDE distros.
Not Debian based, but well worth a look.
Sweet looking distro plan on giving it a go!

Op i think you would like this distro a lot [url]http://www.zevenos.com/download/zevenos-neptune-2[/url]

Glad you have a Home partition. Be careful this distro deleted most of my home folder content. It was probable a sign my HDD is going bad though. Give it a good you will like it!
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

Neptune was quite disappointing here. It was a promising one at first instance, but I think it still needs a long way to become mature.

For a semi rolling Debian based KDE distro I much prefer SolydK. In my own experience, not as smooth as the current Mint releases (LMDE and Mint KDE) yet, but close to it.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

openSUSE KDE - then switch to Tumbleweed

or

PCLinuxOS
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Chat about Linux”