fast mouse without acceleration

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vickane

fast mouse without acceleration

Post by Vickane »

Hi,

as the title says, my goal is to have a fast mouse movement without any acceleration.

I was surprised i could not disable mouse acceleration in the Menu> Preferences> Mouse> menu
I can just set it to a minimum, but mouse acceleration is still there.

With google i found the command xinput.
I disabled acceleration using :
xinput set-prop "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse" "Device Accel Profile" -1

It worked great but the problem is that now my mouse is too slow for my taste and i can't find anything to make it faster once acceleration is disable.
Changing sensitivity in the mouse menu did nothing.
I tried playing with the xinput command but i found nothing to achieve my goal.

Once acceleration is disable the mapping between device and screen coordinates is 1:1.
I want a 1:N mapping where N>1.
I know if N is greater than 1 it reduces accuracy, but im fine with that.

I know it technically possible because it works like that on my windows.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: fast mouse without acceleration

Post by richyrich »

Suggestion only,
Do a search for logitech in the Package Manager.
Gnurfos

Post by Gnurfos »

Hi,

I have the same need. The only slight difference is that cinnamon mouse options crash on exit, instead of just having no effect.
I found a logitech-applet in the package manager but it did not help (no new menu visible anywhere, no systray, and a new command that does nothing visible). By the way a generic solution should exist, I guess.

Any other idea ?

Thanks
Pace McLovin

Post by Pace McLovin »

I also have exactly the same problem. Tried googling and it seems there are quite a few people experiencing the same thing when they move from a Windows machine to a MAC. I tried installing the only logitech tweaking package I could find and it was not of use in this situation. It only allowed you change the DPI from 400 to 800. It wouldn't even let you read the current DPI - Useless.
Amithiel

Post by Amithiel »

Forget that guys. I suffer from the same problem, never got any solution for that.
To be honest, i only fixed that on KDE. Because you have a lot more options to configure the mouse. Anyway i don't like KDE, i got used to these speed, i'm done with complaining
za.ch

Post by za.ch »

Same Problem, high dpi mouse and mouse acceleration screws up everything. In my case it is a razer, but thta is I guess besides the point.
Abetterone

Post by Abetterone »

Guys there is a solution and it is quite easy the commands are:
xinput set-prop 'Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)' 'Device Accel Profile' -1
xinput set-prop 'Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)' 'Device Accel Constant Deceleration' 1

You will have to use your mouse name.

There is a blog explaining it all and how to make it so linux does it every time you log in.
http://www.linuxlog.org/?p=107
dsx2b

Post by dsx2b »

For years, i've hated the acceleration, and finally it's gone. Thanks Abbetterone. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”