Specific avi file mutes upon forwarding/rewinding

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Doranwen
Level 3
Level 3

Specific avi file mutes upon forwarding/rewinding

Post by Doranwen »

I received an avi file from a friend the other day, but found that as soon as I forward or rewind at all, it mutes the file. The only way to fix it is to close and reopen the file and start from the beginning. Pausing is not an issue--I just can't touch the forward or backward buttons without causing it to mute the file.

I'm running Mint 13 Mate, and I've tried this file in VLC, Media Player, and Gnome MPlayer. They all behave exactly the same. The codec for the audio, according to MediaInfo, is a simple MPEG Audio (MP3), Version 1, Layer 3. I can't see anything unusual that would cause this. The file is long enough that I would like to be able to skip through some parts rather than watch it all the way through, but I can't seem to find my way around this.

Anyone have any ideas what's causing this? Should I try re-encoding the file with Handbrake or something like that? I tried searching the 'net for details on this but got nothing very close to my situation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Specific avi file mutes upon forwarding/rewinding

Post by iironjade »

Every video file mutes on fast forward or rewind, presumably because no one wants to hear all the twittering as they search.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

iironjade wrote:Every video file mutes on fast forward or rewind, presumably because no one wants to hear all the twittering as they search.
Maybe next time you could actually read the post you reply to.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Doranwen wrote:Anyone have any ideas what's causing this?
The file is probably corrupt.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

catweazel wrote:
iironjade wrote:Every video file mutes on fast forward or rewind, presumably because no one wants to hear all the twittering as they search.
Maybe next time you could actually read the post you reply to.
So what did I miss, O Wise One.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
Doranwen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Doranwen »

catweazel wrote:The file is probably corrupt.
Drat. Any way to fix it with re-encoding or something like that? Or do I just give up?

It's just so weird that one touch of the forward/rewind, and the file is forever muted until it gets closed and reopened.

Return to “Sound”