Future of MATE shows Wayland support

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Future of MATE shows Wayland support

Post by xenopeek »

Stefano, one of the developers on MATE, talked on the openSUSE conference about the future of MATE. You can watch that specific segment of his talk here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=H-2WSt5cbR4&t=708

I found the entire talk interesting, though this part really stood out. They will be supporting Wayland fully in MATE. So notch another one for the Wayland camp :wink: The other items from the roadmap are interesting also, like further removal of redundant GNOME 2 components in the fork and switching instead to GNOME 3 components for the same. While it increases the dependency on the GNOME project, I believe it will allow the MATE developers to focus more on core improvements to MATE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HardyH

Re: Future of MATE shows Wayland support

Post by HardyH »

IMHO, depending on Gnome 3 components wil kill MATE, Gnome 3 is anything but stable an reliable. Wayland support seems to be trendy these days, but I fear Wayland is Inte's attempt to push AMD/NVidia out of Linux , to take over linux and turn it into a mobile only system.
dee.

Post by dee. »

HardyH wrote:IMHO, depending on Gnome 3 components wil kill MATE, Gnome 3 is anything but stable an reliable. Wayland support seems to be trendy these days, but I fear Wayland is Inte's attempt to push AMD/NVidia out of Linux , to take over linux and turn it into a mobile only system.
Nope. Wayland is nothing of the sort. Where do you get this kind of nonsense? Look into some history and why Wayland was created. It replaces X because X sucks and is fundamentally broken, and Linux needs a modern display server.

Intel backs Wayland because of Tizen, and Intel is mainly interested in Tizen because they want to put it on ultrabooks. Ultrabooks with Windows Ache aren't selling, no big surprise there, so it'll probably be a way to bring down price (no MS tax) and also make the form factor more attractive. The version of Tizen on ultrabooks would be a desktop OS though, it would (probably) be running a customized version of GNOME shell. Why would Intel want Linux to be mobile only? What would they have to gain? Intel sucks on mobile, right now. They have virtually no market share, it's all ARM and MIPS and things like that. Intel does much better in big, heavy-duty cores. It's where their expertise is at.

Nvidia and AMD will support Wayland when they need to, which is, as soon as RHEL starts using it.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

HardyH wrote:I fear Wayland is Inte's attempt to push AMD/NVidia out of Linux , to take over linux and turn it into a mobile only system.
I fear being abducted by aliens. Off topic, yes, but no less absurd.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Chat about Linux”