Moving panel in Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mmutoo

Moving panel in Cinnamon

Post by mmutoo »

Hi all,
I am a newcomer to the Linux world, and I followed the path of all beginners using Ubuntu. However, since I became familiar with Linux Mint, I switched to it and never went back to Ubuntu. I have a question regarding desktop environments though. I was wondering why Cinnamon does not offer a moving panel, and is it really that hard to make the panel movable after doing such a huge task like designing a new DE?

Thanks guys.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dwasifar

Re: Moving panel in Cinnamon

Post by dwasifar »

You can move the panel. It's in Panel Properties. But you have to restart Cinnamon for the change to take effect.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

Actually Cinnamon is not a desktop environment written from scratch - it is based on GNOME Shell's code. In GNOME Shell the panel is stuck at top and you can't move anything on it without extensions. So, Cinnamon right now only have 3 panel layouts under Cinnamon Settings - Panel.
Looking at the GitHub page of the project (https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon) you can see a pull request about flexible panel layouts. So, maybe in the next version of Cinnamon the panels are more flexible. :)
mmutoo

Post by mmutoo »

@ dwasifar: Can I make the panel vertical? Actually that is what I want :)

@abnvolk: Thanks for clarification. Can you name the extensions for moving the panel in Gnome Shell or Gnome 3? Especially for vertical panel.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

I don't know :) I meant moving applets on the panel, I've never seen a panel-moving extension. ;)
dwasifar

Post by dwasifar »

mmutoo wrote:@ dwasifar: Can I make the panel vertical? Actually that is what I want :)
No, I think the options are only top or bottom in Cinnamon. Gnome-panel has always looked crappy when vertical, though, so you're not missing much. I recommend installing Docky or some similar dock and moving that to a vertical side instead. It'll look much better and be more functional.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yes, for vertical panels you're better of with a dock (Docky, Cairo etc.) A flat 25px panel with text labels would look odd vertical.
mmutoo

Post by mmutoo »

Ok! I do not seem to have any other choice! Either i go back to xfce or install a dock :) Thanks a lot guys.
oric

Post by oric »

I didn't had the choice neither... Hopefully it was one of the first thing I tried to do. Now I just installed Mate which works fine with panel on side (and no problem of vertical text, there are only icons) and the few vertical pixels I have on that stupid 16:9 screen are safe.
CH1291

Post by CH1291 »

XFCE 4.10 (in Mint 16) does a very nice vertical panel, choose "Deskbar" mode in the panel options, and it's very configurable too - like a dock and panel in one. Though on the whole I do prefer Cinnamon (v2.0)
Anyway, if not done already, perhaps go over to http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/2748 and vote. Maybe it will happen... just need some momentum!

Return to “Beginner Questions”