<SOLVED>Virtualbox guest additions - installation problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Miss Bit
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED>Virtualbox guest additions - installation problem

Post by Miss Bit »

Anyone having success installing virtualbox guest additions?
I tried to install from the iso mounted to the virtual machine and from synaptic, but it won't work. If I run the file VBoxLinuxAdditons.run in the terminal it build the kernel modules and then say
The headers for the current running kernel were not found. If the following module compilation fails then this could be the reason.

Building the main Guest Additions module ...fail!
/var/log/vboxadd-install.log wrote:Uninstalling modules from DKMS
Attempting to install using DKMS

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/source ->
/usr/src/vboxguest-4.1.18

DKMS: add completed.

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area....
make KERNELRELEASE=3.5.0-17-generic -C /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/build M=/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build.........(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic (i686)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/make.log for more information.
Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
...etc
Does Virtualbox need to be upgrated for this Linux release?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Virtualbox guest additions - installation problem

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint comes with VirtualBox guest additions installed and automatically loaded. You shouldn't need to install them again. If you upgrade to a newer kernel (but you haven't, you're running the stock kernel) then you might trip over the fact that VirtualBox isn't compatible yet with the newest kernels available and hence won't compile. That's not your issue I think.
Miss Bit wrote:Consult /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/make.log for more information.
Have you checked that file?
Miss Bit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Miss Bit »

xenopeek wrote:Linux Mint comes with VirtualBox guest additions installed and automatically loaded.
Do you mean that when I install a virtual Mint in VBox it knows that it is a VBox machine and then automatically install the guest additions?
/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/make.log wrote: DKMS make.log for vboxguest-4.1.18 for kernel 3.5.0-17-generic (i686)
ons apr 24 18:36:33 CEST 2013
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic'
LD /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/built-in.o
LD /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/built-in.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/VBoxGuest-linux.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/VBoxGuest.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/VBoxGuest2.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/GenericRequest.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/HGCMInternal.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/Init.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/PhysHeap.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/SysHlp.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/VMMDev.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/r0drv/alloc-r0drv.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/r0drv/initterm-r0drv.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/r0drv/memobj-r0drv.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/r0drv/mpnotification-r0drv.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/r0drv/powernotification-r0drv.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/r0drv/linux/assert-r0drv-linux.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/r0drv/linux/initterm-r0drv-linux.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.o
/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c: In function ‘rtR0MemObjLinuxDoMmap’:
/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:1150:9: error: implicit declaration of function ‘do_mmap’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build/vboxguest] Error 2
make: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.18/build] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic'
That's the content, to me it could have been Russian.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Miss Bit wrote:Do you mean that when I install a virtual Mint in VBox it knows that it is a VBox machine and then automatically install the guest additions?
Well, not exactly. The VirtualBox guest additions are always installed, regardless of what you install Linux Mint on. When using it in VirtualBox it will load and use the guest additions automatically.

The packages for this are virtualbox-guest-dkms, virtualbox-guest-utils, and virtualbox-guest-x11. Version 4.1.18 should already be installed on your system, unless you removed it prior.

I'm not sure of the error you are getting either. I'd undo whatever you have done so far, especially the messing about with the ISO. Then check the status of the above mentioned three packages. Those should be installed with version 4.1.18, from the Linux Mint (actually Ubuntu) repository. A good command for that, at least for me to check for you, is:

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-x11
If that is all in place, you may try the commands shared here to load it: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 55#p692301
Miss Bit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Miss Bit »

Thanks a lot!
I choosed to install a new VM Mint with Mate, to be sure to have a clean guest OS. And you are right, the guest additions are there and they work! And they are installed on my Mint host too. So it seems that the problem was nested in the fact, that I did not expect the additions to be installed by default and therefore tried to install them myself and unfortunately from the iso.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ah well, solved now :) Enjoy the virtual Minties!
soldier1st

Re: <SOLVED>Virtualbox guest additions - installation proble

Post by soldier1st »

i do not have the updated virtualbox guest additions only the 4.1.12. i assume if i'm not using virtualbox and attempt to upgrade to the 3.8 kernel, the system will work just fine right?

Return to “Software & Applications”