Kwin crash that persists after logging off and back on?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
littlenoodles

Kwin crash that persists after logging off and back on?

Post by littlenoodles »

Yesterday on my Mint 15 KDE (64 bit) system, I managed to hang up Firefox by attempting to play a video on a Tumblr site. Okay, not impossible. But it also crashed Kwin - window decorations gone as well as the taskbar. S#!t happens, I guess. So Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and back to the login prompt (using kdm - I don't like the new html login). When I logged back in, still no window decorations. The taskbar shows up, but without my selected theme. Repeatedly.

After rebooting the system, everything's fine. But I'm pretty surpised that an application can bring down kwin so dramatically. Does that surprise anybody else?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
littlenoodles

Re: Kwin crash that persists after logging off and back on?

Post by littlenoodles »

Hmmm, no responses. Let me ask a more specific question. When I kill my X-window session with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, I was under the impression that all the desktop stuff goes away, and gets respawned along with the display manager's login screen. So I'd expect logging back in to give me a freshly re-initialized KDE session with everything working. But that didn't happen. I had to reboot my system to get KDE cleaned up.

Is this because I'm using kdm instead of the new html-based Mint display manager? Do the KDE libs stay loaded on logoff back to kdm? if not, Is Ctrl-Alt-Backspace different enough from a clean logoff to make a difference there?
geoffm

Re: Kwin crash that persists after logging off and back on?

Post by geoffm »

I don't have an answer to your question but I just faced a persistent [url=http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=117586]kwin crash issue[/url] where kwin didn't work at all. After messing around for a while, I found out that I kde-window-manager was removed when I installed kwin-style-crystal a few days ago (since I hibernate most of the time the problem didn't happen immediately, it's harder to trace back its source in this situation...)
Just reinstalling kde-window-manager worked and everything is back to normal.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install kde-window-manager

Return to “Software & Applications”