Headphone and speaker working together

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hectorsales

Headphone and speaker working together

Post by hectorsales »

Hi I have the following problem, when I plug headphones into the front panel of my desktop PC speakers are not muted . My OS is Linux Mint 13 Mate 64 bytes.

Card type

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                      HDA ATI SB at 0xfbbf4000 irq 16
 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfbdfc000 irq 19
Card model

cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_hda_intel
 1 snd_hda_intel
Chip and codec

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | grep Code
Codec: VIA VT1708S
According to the information on this page for the model VIA Chip (VIA VT17xx/VT18xx/VT20xx) should put the following to the file gksudo pluma /etc/modprobe.d /alsa-base.conf

options snd-hda-intel model=auto

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... Models.txt

But unfortunately it does not work, I tried many things but ... :roll: :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cablenetguy

Re: Headphone and speaker working together

Post by cablenetguy »

I have the exact same issue, Linux mint Cinnamon 64 bit, Dell Optiplex 755 factory build. Built in sound. I also previously installed Unbuntu 12.04 LTS with the exact same results.
Plug in headphones and sound still comes out of speakers as well as headphones.

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xfebdc000 irq 46

cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_hda_intel

New to linux mint but not new to Unix/linux. Any help would be appreciated, a kind nudge in the right direction, please!!

Thanks,

Cablenetguy
hectorsales

Post by hectorsales »

Hello cablenetguy I have like 4 or 5 days trying to solve the problem and seeking information through the network, later publish all the information I've found and possible solutions. To see if the two got to solve the problem Ok?.
hectorsales

Post by hectorsales »

Here the information:

Option A

-Completely remove PulseAudio & replace it with ALSA.

Very important: This guide was written at the time of Gnome 2 (Mint 11), and before the release of Gnome 3, MATE and Cinnamon, I do not know if the commands are correct for the new releases Linux mint 13, 14 and 15. See if someone can confirm it that we can f**k the system ...

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=60485

A. Before proceeding, please use Update Manager to install the latest updates (click mintUpdate tray icon to open Update Manager > Refresh > Install Updates)
B. Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications > uncheck "PulseAudio Sound System" and "PulseAudio Sound System KDE Routing Policy"
C. Remove pulseaudio, related packages and configuration files:

killall pulseaudio
sudo killall pulseaudio
sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio libpulse-browse0 paman pavumeter pavucontrol
sudo mv /etc/asound.conf /etc/asound.conf-bak
rm ~/.pulse-cookie
rm -r ~/.pulse
D. Restart your computer

You need to install alsa, in my case most packages are already installed:

sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsa-oss libalsaplayer0 alsaplayer-esd alsamixergui volumeicon-alsa 
These packages alsamixergui volumeicon-alsa allow us to manipulate the sound of alsamixer graphically, but we can do it through the terminal by typing alsamixer.

E. Right click Panel, select "Add to Panel" and add "Volume Control" (Volumeicon-Alsa) to Panel.

Option B

-Add the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf the following line:

options snd-hda-intel model=auto probe_mask=0x103

model=auto is the model name to be given to the VIA chips, which are configured by the BIOS, as /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/HD-Audio-Models.txt.gz, you open it with zless . You can also check the information on this page:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... Models.txt
probe_mask=0x103 is to force the driver to load the codec within the "slots" 0 and 1, regardless of what you tell the BIOS obviously this option is added when the BIOS this failing. This information can also be seen in /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/HD-Audio.tx.gz you open it with zless.

I tried the Option B and so far has not worked...

That's all the information I have at this moment .....
cablenetguy

Post by cablenetguy »

I tried using alsa sound and it worked with the headphone thing. Not able to get a panel applet to load with the GUI however.
I am able to use my headphones as they are supposed to be even though the volume is considerably lower.

Thanks for the help,

Cablenetguy
hectorsales

Post by hectorsales »

I tried using alsa sound and it worked with the headphone thing. Not able to get a panel applet to load with the GUI however.
I am able to use my headphones as they are supposed to be even though the volume is considerably lower.
One question, have you removed pulseaudio ?
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Same issue is here on Linux Mint 13 Mate 64 bit any solutions?
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I had the same issue on Linux Mint 13 Mate and I resolved it by installing the lastest drivers from alsa-project like this:

wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.25.tar.bz2
tar -jxf alsa-driver-1.0.25.tar.bz2
cd alsa-driver-1.0.25/
./configure --with-cards=hda-intel --with-oss=yes
make
sudo make install

then restarted my computer and everything is tip-top now!

Return to “Sound”