This week I struggled a bit to open a document on my network (a NAS device) with Libreoffice. This doesn't work OOTB (you get a "file corrupt" error and your file never opens).
I found pieces of solution in various places, and none on this forum. So I thought it could be useful to describe how I solved that issue:
1) Install the gvfs-fuse package;
2) Add the user to the fuse group;
3) Logout and login again (I suppose it would be enough to restart the fuse daemon?);
4) Modify the user's rights for ~/.gvfs to rw/rw/r.
That's it. A few comments:
* Why isn't step 1 done by default? (gvfs-fuse could be installed as a samba dependency)?
* Without 2) and 3) you can't do 4) even as root. Same question.
* Sadly this workaround seems broken in Libreoffice 4.1 (mine is 4.0.3), but I was able to test it under XFCE and Mate as well.