Mute and volume keys suddenly "broken"

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
collibosher

Re: Mute and volume keys suddenly "broken"

Post by collibosher »

This is happening to me as well. I registered to pursue this matter. I also have a Cherry Linux keyboard - could this be the problem? The other thing that happens is that I can't type into text boxes. And I can bring down menus but not click on an option. When this happens I have to use CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to log out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
collibosher

Post by collibosher »

I connected a second keyboard, and the media keys worked just fine with that. I opened a terminal and rooted it (sudo su) and ran lsmod. There is a separate driver for the Cherry Keyboard called hid_cherry - removing it killed the Cherry keyboard stone dead. So I suspect that it's the Cherry Keyboard driver that's the problem. A workaround might to be to plug it into the PS/2 keyboard socket via an adaptor. Can't find my one at the moment though. I've not had this problem in Linux before but no other distro I've tried used the Cherry driver.
mintfoobar

Post by mintfoobar »

Hi folks,

I've had the exact same problem. It turned out that fixing this was as easy as unplugging and replugging the keyboard into another usb slot. I hope that helps for everyone else struggling around with this problem as well!

cheers,

Return to “LMDE Archive”