sata versus sata 2

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

sata versus sata 2

Post by donec »

What would be the results of running a sata 2 or sata/300 on a laptop that has sata listed in the specs for the laptop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
Fred

Re: sata versus sata 2

Post by Fred »

donec,

The answer is nothing. The I/O speed is limited by the slowest link in the chain. In this case it would be the sata controller. The disk I/O would not go any faster because of the sata2 interface on the disk. sata2 is backward compatible with sata.

Fred
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Adding to what Fred said, I just recently purchased a desktop Seagate 80GB SATA drive. It is rated for both 150 and 300 speeds. My motherboard will run the 150, but not the 300. Seagate has a tiny jumper that comes already installed that limits the drive to 150. I just plugged it in and loaded Mint. It only took a minute. Now, when I do eventually move this drive to another machine that has 300 support, all I have to do it remove that tiny jumper. Even though I cannot use that 300 speed right now, I have that future capability built-in.

I think I paid $44 for that drive (including shipping). I have not priced the laptop models, but with drive prices as they currently are, you will get a deal no matter which way you go.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that for most drives the sata I/O speed is really quite a bit faster than most read right speeds can do at this time. Any thoughts?
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

In comparison to IDE drives yes, very much faster. Although SCSI can be equivalent in speed to SATA, the interface is outdated and expensive. SATA is the way to go.
Fred

Post by Fred »

donec

Absolutely faster than the ability of the drive to keep up. The difference is the catching. The I/O comes in bursts. Then waits for the mechanical part of the drive to catch up. The speed difference in sata and sata2 is mostly in the speed of the I/O bursts.

Hope this helps clarify.

Fred
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

When running a SATA2 drive with an older SATA controller make sure you have the jumper pin set for the slower speed. I have read (wish I could remember the source) that some drives have issues otherwise. Personally I have two SATA2 hard drives in my PC, both set to the slower SATA setting due to my old mother board. With the jumpers set correctly everything works great.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Lantesh,

Good point. Some BIOSs/controllers can self adjust, others can not.

Thanks.

Fred

Return to “Hardware Support”