Problem booting Mint after changing monitor and dvd. SOLVED.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Problem booting Mint after changing monitor and dvd. SOLVED.

Post by g0lrk »

Hello, I am running Daryna and had no problems for a while until dvd drive dies on me. So I changed ide model for a sata model and also got a widescreen mointor at the same time as I have problem seeing.
Changed these things and the main hard-drive will not boot into Mint now?
In normal mode it gets past the 'splash' screen and just sits there 4 ever and ever, [this is I should say today but yesterday it worked 100% after changes made above], in Recovery mode it gets to the point where it has got on the screen-
11: 604000 sd 8: 0: 0: 0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
And that just stays there 4 ever and ever.

I have tried another hard-disk with Mint on it, this one, and it works, so motherboard and everything must be ok,
I have the Mint cd but not sure what to do to rescue the hard-drive, politely please!
I connected it up at the same time as this one and have access to 'MOST' of the stuff on it, though it is telling me I do not have access to some of the stuff I wish to have access to, in case I need to back it up, for the worse scenario, so if anyone can help with that it would be very helpful.
Thank-you.
Kevin.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: Problem booting Mint after changing monitor and dvd.

Post by miket »

Hi Kevin,

I see G0LRK as your ID, are you QRV ?
g0lrk wrote:Hello, I am running Daryna and had no problems for a while until dvd drive dies on me. So I changed ide model for a sata model and also got a widescreen mointor at the same time as I have problem seeing.
Changed these things and the main hard-drive will not boot into Mint now?
Snip to save bandwidth ...
Kevin.
I am guessing here that your IDE hard drive is configured to be master with a slave, the slave being the IDE DVD Drive.
When you removed the IDE DVD Drive did you reconfigure the jumpers on the IDE Hard drive so that it was MASTER alone, without a Slave ?

I have seen a problem similar to what you are experiencing before when I have done the same thing without reconfiguring the master IDE device!

Mike.
M0AWS / F5VKM
http://www.f5vkm.com
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

Hello Mike, M0AWS / F5VKM,
Good to find another Ham on here!!
Back to the problem....
Funny you mention the drive and slave/master thing.
I turned it on this morning at 05:00, I don't sleep well, and like I said it didn't work.
I thought the drive had stuffed up so changed to another ide one and that worked OK, it's actually one I keep separate and use only on Thursday when we have a SSTV net around here, which I control, and I don't update because it works and NEVER goes near the internet.
That worked so must be a problem either drive or something to do with the OS.
Got magnifying glass out to check jumper was set as it should be, can't see well usually get wife to look but that time on a Sunday no chance!!!
Jumper was set as slave, thought I had altered it yesterday when it worked 100%.
Connected it back up went into bios, motherboard if it matters here is Asus M2N32-SLS DELUXE, bios is reporting it as master!!!
Changed jumper to master, still reporting as master.
Basically there is 3 possible settings on hard-drive:
Slave
Master with nothing else
Master with something else
Cut a long story very short bios reports it as a master which ever jumper is set so on retrospect it looks as if the drive is cooked!
I just need some way to access ALL the info off it with permission as it doesn't allow me to do so at the moment.
So there you are unless someone tells me better it looks like the drive is going to get thrown away after I have extracted the info.
Kevin.
Fred

Post by Fred »

g0lrk,

Before you start throwing things away, let's try something else. Disconnect the sata cd/dvd drive. Put only the suspect IDE drive, set to master, on the end of the IDE cable. Try booting that and post back with the results.

Fred

If the drive does turn out to be bad, I'll show you an easy way to get your data off.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Problem booting Mint after changing monitor and dvd. SOLVED!

Post by g0lrk »

Well aren't I a fool!
I got my wife to look carefully at the hard-drive and the jumper was most definitely on in the wrong position(s) regardless of what the logo on drive said.
After changing the little thing around and pi@@ing around with it since 5 am my oh came and sorted it within 15 minutes and she knows nothing about 'pewters!!!
Still can't understand how the darned thing worked yesterday though unless the gremlins got to it during the night!!!
Shows that it's worth looking carefully at what it is not what you think it is...............
So sorry to bother you Minters anyway.
Thanks a lot.
Kevin.

p.s.
Every-time I changed the jumper we decided I was putting it back on in the same placce all the time, what a plonker!!!!!
Fred

Post by Fred »

g0lrk,

Hey, don't feel bad. My eyes aren't quite as good as they once were either. My seeing eye wife has to do a lot of stuff for me too. :-)

I know the feeling.

Fred
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

Thanks a lot guys and sorry to be a pest!
Kevin.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Kevin !
g0lrk wrote:Thanks a lot guys and sorry to be a pest!
Kevin.
Not a problem at all, we've all done it before ;)

Catch you on the HF bands sometime ..

Mike.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Problem booting Mint after changing monitor and dvd. SOLVED.

Post by g0lrk »

OK look for you on the HF bands.
Good luck and good DX.
G0LRK
Kevin.

Return to “Installation & Boot”