Menu not showing in Mate 13

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ogmios

Post by Ogmios »

Hi. I have a bug that is driving me crazy. Everytime I log in, the first time I open the menu, it only displays the shadow, but not the menu itself. However, when I "close" it and reopen, the second time works perfect and it does not show this bug until the next login.

I am using Mint 13 Mate in a Gateway EC1430u installed from Mint4win. The graphics processor is Intel and I have 3 Gb of RAM, so I do not think it is a hardware problem.

¿Any ideas of how can I prevent this from happening?

Sorry for my English if I made a spell mistake.

I leave a picture of the bug where you can see the shadow. Thanks for your help.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340906984.720606.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Menu not showing in Mate 13

Post by Monsta »

Ogmios wrote:Everytime I log in, the first time I open the menu, it only displays the shadow, but not the menu itself. However, when I "close" it and reopen, the second time works perfect and it does not show this bug until the next login.
Hmm, so the Ubuntu-based edition has this bug too... that's interesing. (Here's the thread about the same issue in LMDE - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=106008).
I can't reproduce it neither in LMDE nor in Mint 13. But I've used VirtualBox in both cases to test this. Can you please test it in VirtualBox and confirm if it happens there too?
Ogmios

Post by Ogmios »

Thanks for your answer Monsta. I will try it on VMware and Virtualbox as soon as I go home and post the results.
mpiter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mpiter »

I have exactly the same problem with only a shadow at the first menu call, then everything is normal. It does not drive me crazy though because it happens only once per session.
Ogmios

Post by Ogmios »

I tryed to reproduce the error in VMware with no success.

You are right about I should not worry because it only happens one time and everything else works flawless but I would like to solve it.

Since it is a Mint4win install I will re-install it and see if it happens again, and I will post the result in a couple of days. Maybe if I reinstall it does not happen again.. Who knows.

Thanks.
mpiter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mpiter »

I updated yesterday my computer and the problem seems solved. The menu popped up the first time I clicked it after login in this morning. I will see whether it is a real fix or just luck for my current session.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

So... has it been fixed with the update (and what version is it now)?
mpiter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mpiter »

Monsta wrote:So... has it been fixed with the update (and what version is it now)?
The regular Linux Mint 13 mate version updated at level 3 with the update manager. I only saw the bug once during the last 10 days.
Ogmios

Post by Ogmios »

Ok. For me it has something to do with Genome Composition. As soon as I disable it, the bug desapear. Maybe it is all because of the Mint4win instalation and it does not happen in a "real" instalation.
mpiter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mpiter »

I am running a "real" installation and the bug nevertheless happens once in a while.
Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Hi, I was experiencing the same issue of the menu occasionally not showing. This problem seems to be solved after having removed the Cairo-dock (and replaced it with the Avant Window Navigator).
mpiter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mpiter »

Wouter wrote:Hi, I was experiencing the same issue of the menu occasionally not showing. This problem seems to be solved after having removed the Cairo-dock (and replaced it with the Avant Window Navigator).
I do not use any dock and I still have the bug. It might be due to Gnome Composition as Ogmios pointed out. Did you use Cairo Dock with or without OpenGL? As I previously wrote, the bug is not too annoying so I do not investigate it anymore.
mpiter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mpiter »

Thanks for the solution. Oddly enough, I still use the Mate Compositing feature and have not suffered from this bug for months. That is maybe because I use Compiz with Mate. I also enabled the Compositing feature in Compiz. God only knows why I have not seen this bug for months!
SteveIDusa

Post by SteveIDusa »

I can also confirm that I have seen this bug, not only in Mint 13 Mate, but also in Mint 14 Mate, both 64-bit, I also recently upgraded my Video Card from AMD HD 4670 to Nvidia GT 640, with either card it was present, so this is not hardware related. I also sometimes get shadow artifacts after popup Titles after hovering my mouse pointer over an Icon. I however use a dock and it of course requires compositing to display it correctly. Has anyone found any other fixes for this?
RitterRunkel

Post by RitterRunkel »

Still buggy in Mate 15!: x64, Intel i3-3 (HD4000), compositing active. Only the shadow of the start menu is visible, when opening it for the first time ...

Had to deactivate compositing to get rid of it. Well, let's wait for Mate 16 ... ^^
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

mpiter wrote:I have exactly the same problem with only a shadow at the first menu call, then everything is normal. It does not drive me crazy though because it happens only once per session.
Same here. Mint 15 with 64bit and Mate Desktop ... Real Mint 15 installation on a freshly formattd partition ... after a restart only the shadow of the Mint Menu shows up the first time that it's being used. But like you, I can totally live with that as just about everything else runs perfectly and since it only takes a second to hit the menu key a second time. It is a bit odd though, isn't it? You'd think that this might have been found & corrected between Miint 13, 14, and 15 ...
I won't disable compositing since I really like that feature (in lieu of installing full-blown Compiz).
PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.

Return to “MATE”