Install error on copying files

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
neofax

Install error on copying files

Post by neofax »

I can run the LiveCD all day with no problems at all. However, when I try installing the distro, it always hangs on copying files. The md5sum for the CD matches perfectly and the md5sum of the files within match, so it is not a bad burn. However when I look at the casper.log file apt cannot find any files. Here is the pertinent info from the casper.log file:

/scripts/casper-bottom/24preseed: /scripts/casper-bottom/24preseed: 64: cannot open /root/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed: No such file
ln: /usr/sbin/anacron: No such file or directory
ln: /root/usr/lib/update-notifier/apt-check: No such file or directory
Using CD-ROM mount point /cdrom/
Identifying.. [12c96efbcef4581569a8718634d948e3-2]
Scanning disc for index files..
Found 0 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 0 signatures
E: Unable to locate any package files, perhaps this is not a Debian Disc
Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/apparmor ...
/etc/rcS.d/S37apparmor

I cannot find the /preseed folder either on my cd. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Install error on copying files

Post by Fred »

neofax,

I know you don't want to hear it, but it certainly sounds as if you have a bad cd. Have you checked the md5 sum of the burned cd with the one posted on the Mint download site for the version you have?

Fred
neofax

Post by neofax »

Yes. I now am the happy owner of three Linux Mint KDE CE 4.0 cds. Two of the three have valid md5sums based on the md5sum from the website ftp.heanet.de where I downloaded the iso from. The iso also matches the website md5sum and I burnt in ImgBurn on Vista using the slowest speed and DAO mode. What is really stange is the LiveCD works perfect and the Install works until it gets to the copying portion. Do you think I should just use the plain mint version and then after install add kde-desktop via apt?
neofax

Post by neofax »

I cannot believe that I have burned 4 bad dvd's. I just tried to install Linux Mint plain vanilla 4.0 Daryna and it errors at the exact same place, with the exact same casper.log output. The burn was yet again on a Vista machine with good md5sums and everything. Is there anyway I could change the install from using the cdrom and do a netinstall like in Debian? The installer works fine and partitions my drives using the manual way, but when it goes to install the software, it just pukes.

EDIT: I have now burnt 7 DVD's that were bad and 1 that was good for 1 time use. The remaining 4 were 3 Daryna Main editions and 1 Elyssa Beta 032 Main edition. One of the Daryna main editions worked and installed perfectly fine, but upon boot could not find any HDD's. These 4 were burnt using K3B DAO mode 4x speed on Mythbuntu 8.04. All MD5's matched, iso, cdrom and files after the burn. There is no way that 7 DVD's did not burn properly. It is how the install system works. If I could just issue commands via the CLI to install the system, I am positive it would work.

Return to “Installation & Boot”