LMDE Cin/Mate 64 installation freezes half way thru [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tellymandeus
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE Cin/Mate 64 installation freezes half way thru [SOLVED]

Post by tellymandeus »

Hi,

new to linux, I've looked around and decided LMDE is a good choice for me, but the install has failed halfway thru everytime, system freezes and I can't use the mouse or anything. I tried the 'nomodeset' suggestion ([url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=144486[/url])but no change. And I tried both cinammon and mate 64bit disks, both work fine but hang on install.

My system is this:
[url]http://www.pc-koubou.jp/goods/1139122.html[/url] - sorry the link is in japanese, this laptop is only available in Japan I think. It seems to be all intel (no nvidia) which I thought was a good thing for linux. I'm using a usb dvd drive, there was some hint somewhere that might be an issue. I'm intending to dualboot with windows7, the computer is brand new.

Any advice gratefully recieved, but I am very much a newbie so you might need to give any command line instructions slowly

Thanks for reading
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Me: a non-techie Linux enthusiast running LM20.1 64-bit Cinnamon on a 2017 gamer pc I bought used...
Linux is like riding a bicycle: it's slightly more effort, but ultimately much more satisfying.
kurotsugi

Re: LMDE Cin/Mate 64 installation freezes half way thru

Post by kurotsugi »

if you have intel ivy then the problem lies on the kernel used on LMDE. the v3.2 have a bug related to ivy chip which causes system randomly freeze. at this time your solution to use LMDE is either convert debian stable or debian testing to LMDE. you can do it by simply put LMDE repo on your system and install mint specific packages. you can also convert solydxk to LMDE. nevertheless, it will require a lot of work to get it work.
tellymandeus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE Cin/Mate 64 installation freezes half way thru [SOL

Post by tellymandeus »

It's a celeron processor - so that means the kernel bug shouldn't be a problem, yes?

I'll try again with nomodeset (checking carefully) , and if it doesnt work I'll try from a usb.

And if that doesnt work I guess I'll have to look at other distros, I might try debian as I gather it is very customisable (tho' i will have to learn how - good learning experience, or difficult for a newbie??), other than that I guess I'll just try a bunch on live session and see which works best for me and on my machine. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? (fast, efficient and stable is much more important to me than eye candy or the latest features, esp since this is a lower-power machine)

thanks for the replies!

EDIT: tried mint 13 but the dvd wouldn't even boot up properly, so I tried mint 15...and it installed flawlessly! Yaaay! So I'll be sticking with 15 for a while, thanks for the help
Me: a non-techie Linux enthusiast running LM20.1 64-bit Cinnamon on a 2017 gamer pc I bought used...
Linux is like riding a bicycle: it's slightly more effort, but ultimately much more satisfying.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

nomodeset paramater only works on ati/nvidia chip and only used when the graphic driver doesn't work. since you're using intel then using nomodeset won't solve your problem. as far as I know celeron also have ivy version. since mint13 and LMDE doesn't work I guess the problem is on the kernel. anyway, after ubuntu 13-10 got released next month, LMDE will get new iso. if the UP6 didn't work for you then the up8 might work.
tellymandeus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tellymandeus »

ok thanks, I might look at LMDE again once the 13.10 has been out a little while (to avoid any early-adopter problems)
holyman842

Post by holyman842 »

Hi, sorry for reviving this topic but this is the only thread which I found close enough to my problem. I am using a toshiba M840 laptop with i5-3210m processor. I have downloaded LMDE 64 bit with cinnamon. I previously used Ubuntu but I decided that LMDE would be better for me so I tried to put the iso on a usb stick using unetbootin and tried to boot from it. The boot goes smooth and I see the LMDE boot screen and then a black screen comes up with a mouse pointer. I can move the mouse pointer for a while but then it suddenly freezes. I have no idea why. As mentioned above LMDE has problems with IVY so that may be the case but I have downloaded the iso yesterday and its the latest version.

I am looking forward to an easy solution if possible.

Thanks,
holyman
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Then why don't you try the MATE edition? That's the easiest you can do.
I really don't know why a lot of people here come and complain, "ooh, I install Cinnamon edition and it freezes, it's horrible" - but don't even try MATE as a more stable alternative.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

AFAIK the problem is not the DE. it's about the kernel. the latest iso was still using 3.2 kernel with a bug related to intel kernel which will cause system got freezed. at UP6 the problem is easily solved by using a debian stable then convert it to LMDE. I'm not sure if it still safe on UP7. the other option is using solydxk then convert it LMDE. depends on what kind of system you want to get, if you only want to get MATE/Cinnamon, we can simply add LMDE's main repository and install the DE from them.

Return to “LMDE Archive”