Biggest Noobs Need Help!!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: Biggest Noobs Need Help!!!

Post by Fred »

Mint Fresh,

The best advice I could give you is to read the Mint 4 guide. The download link is below. You have no reason to be nervous. It is just a computer operating system. It won't explode or harm you if you make a mistake. :-)

I would suggest you start with either the final of the KDE CE version or the Mint 4 Main Edition Gnome release. I use the KDE version but the Main Edition is probably the more popular one at this point.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... ide_v1.pdf

The more informed you are when you begin the better your experience will be.

Fred
rhvkl

Post by rhvkl »

I've started a week ago with the Main (Gnome) Edition. Works good, support is great and you can ask ubuntu users, too.
KDE Programs will also work under Gnome, think the Main Edition was a good choice for me.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Mint Fresh,

Unless you know a specific reason otherwise you basically want to download the Main edition. All the others are versions for experienced Linux users who know they want something beside the regular stock version.

I kinda feel for you in a way because I could see this problem coming. Clem, the big cheese of Mint hasn't done enough to separate the main editions and all the various off shoots. IMO all the other versions should be on a separate page from the Main version. "Want to see the other versions of Mint? Click here", something like that.

As for actually installing Linux. It isnt really all that complicated if you are installing onto a blank harddrive. Where 90% of the complications come from is because people are usually installing Linux along side their windows operating system. This is just an issue of wanting to operating systems on the same computer, having two versions of windows (XP and Vista say) would be just as complicated.

Remember, you can run Mint and pretty much any version of Linux from a liveCD, which means you run it from the CD without needing to install it, you might wanna do that for a few weeks until you get the hang of Linux. The disadvantage of using a LiveCD is it doesnt save your changes when you take the CD out, but there are work arounds by installing a file on your harddrive which might be an option (but might also be pretty geeky and complicated).

Another option is to use a thing called Wubi. At the moment I think only Ubuntu has it, but you will see other distros using it in the near future. Basically it lets you install Ubuntu as if it was a windows program (obviously you need to have windows installed to do this). Once installed you will then get an option when you boot your computer to load into Ubuntu or Windows. If at any point you want to remove Ubuntu you then just go into the remove software part of WIndows Control Panel and uninstall wubi. Bobs your uncle.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Mint Fresh wrote:I hear vocabulary like partition and very alien vocabulary and im scared. So im trying to install and omg there is alot of things i don't understand. XFCE Community Edition BETA 008, miniKDE Edition, Light Edition, KDE Community Edition, Fluxbox Community Edition BETA 028, Debian Edition ALPHA 023. NOw what is that!!! i need help plz!!
When you go to the download page what you see is the various editions with the different window managers available.

Unlike winslop, Linux allows you to choose a window manager. A window manager or WM, also some time referred to as an X server is what does all the graphical interface your familiar with on winslop.

Some are versions based on variants of the base software of linux.

I would suggest you go here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/mirrors.php?id=23

Download the Linux Mint KDE CE DVD

This will be a version with the KDE window manager which will be very familiar to what you have used in the past. The others will have a windowing interface that could be a hurdle to use. KDE will be very easy to use and work similar to what you have used.

This version also includes OpenOffice which is an office suite with word processing, spreadsheet, and other programs which allow interaction with a another common used product in offices daily.

I would download the LiveDVD and play with it for awhile to get used to things.

Installing is where you have to make some decisions.

Are you using this on a laptop or desktop?

If possible its best to install to a clean fresh hard disk, or be able to install to an existing hard disk that wipes out winslop completely.

YES, you can install and dual boot, but you have to do some steps like re-size a partition (thats a section of your hard disk) to use linux.

So use the Live DVD for a while and then move up to an install.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

At the risk of confusing the guy we are trying to help... I disagree! I dont think KDE offers any extra ease for a migrating windows user, in fact because KDE is such a power users thing with so many options available to tweak I think any slight similarities to the appearance of windows are meaningless because its harder to use. The main version uses gnome which is a far easier desktop than KDE, and because Mint uses Mint Menu which is more of a less a 'Start Menu' replacement I don't see how it will be a struggle for a windows user to re-adjust.

Just download the Main version. It is the post polished, most matured, most supported, most used version of Mint Linux.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

belovedmonster wrote:At the risk of confusing the guy we are trying to help... I disagree! .
We will have to agree to very much disagree.
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

Mint Fresh,

Just think of it as an adventure. But you have to be very cautious. I was once like you, coming from the Windows world. First Linux distro i have ever used, installed, and experimented was Red Hat Linux 6.2. Was very long time ago. And at that time, don't know anything about partitions.

Best place to start is read the documentation. If you want to clarify something, ask first here in the forums. It's better to ask first than to make mistakes without asking.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
Fred

Post by Fred »

Mint Fresh,

As I said in my first post and Ed just said again above, Download and read the Mint 4 guide. Most of the questions you allude to are answered in easy to understand language in that document.

Fred
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

Mint Fresh,

i assume you're downloading from windows.
Nero can read and burn ISO files.

Under Nero Express, you should click on "Disc Image or Saved Project" and select on the ISO file that you've downloaded. Then burn to CD. When you create an image file in nero, its usually .nrg file. Its nero's format. ISO which i think, its International Standard Organization, is the most common, lets say, its a standard file type of a disc image. Or something like that.

Anyway, Nero should take care of the ISO. It's just like an entire CD zipped into the ISO file. You can even open the ISO file through Nero's ImageDrive.

@update
you should change your computers boot sequence.
Its usually pointed to your hard drive.
You should boot from your CD. :D
Fred

Post by Fred »

I am really beginning to wonder about this thread.

Fred
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

Mint Fresh wrote:ok, i have some questions about that. What is nero? how do i get it? how do i open it? @update
you should change your computers boot sequence.
Its usually pointed to your hard drive.
You should boot from your CD. <---how do do this?? plz i really need details please.
I don't know what computer you have. what motherboard.
but everytime you start your computer, you should always see something like:
Press F8 to select boot options, F12 to enter setup.
But not all computers have the same keys.
Others have F12 for boot options, F2 for setup.
That depends on your computer.
What ever is stated in your computer, you should press the corresponding keys that relate to Boot options. After pressing it, it should display a list of bootable devias... Floppy, IDE(or your hard disk), CD/DVD(1 or more if you have more CD/DVD).

You should select the CD/DVD device in which your CD is inserted. Then press enter. In case its successful, you should see a Menu for Linux Mint. That menu is in the Documentation/Manual of Linux Mint. You should read it.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Step One: Click this link
ftp://mirrors.secution.com/linuxmint.com/4.0/LinuxMint-4.0.iso

Step two: Click this link
http://superb-west.dl.sourceforge.net/s ... nicode.exe

Step Three: Once the SECOND download finishes, (The first download doesn't need to be done). Install the program by double clicking the file you just downloaded. Follow the instructions.

Step Four: Insert a blank CD in the drive and select Do nothing or Cancel if an autorun dialog pops up.

Step Five: Open Infra Recorder, and select the 'Actions' menu, then 'Burn image'. (Click the link below for a picture of this)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burni ... order2.png

Step Six: Select the Linux Mint CD image file you just downloaded (Wait for it to finish downloading), then click 'Open'.

Step Seven: In the dialog, click 'OK'.

Step Eight: Wait for the program to finish burning your disc, then close the program. (It will tell you its completed or done and the CD tray should open).

Step Nine: Close the CD tray if its open, Leave the disc in the drive.

Step Ten: Restart your pc.

Step Eleven: PC should boot the Linux Mint LiveCD. If not restart again and press the F keys (example: F11) Until you get a menu that lists your Hard Drives and CD Drive. Press down arrows to select CD/DVD) (See post above if your confused)

Step Twelve: Once Mint has gotten to the Desktop, (You can click the Menu's and such). Double click the Icon that says Install.

Step Thirteen: Press "Forward" (Same as Next in Windows) Select any settings you want. (Keep the ones that are already selected if your not sure)
On the one that says "prepare disc space" at the top, Leave default settings to keep Windows, OR select Guided - Use Entire Disc to PERMANENTLY delete Windows.

Step Fourteen: Click Forward till it starts installing. When you get to a menu asking you to restart, Click Restart Now.

For More information and Pictures of what I'm talking about, Click this Link. It Covers all of this in more detail. (Though I really hope thats enough) :wink:
http://woottechnologies.com/docs/Installation.pdf
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Hmm that was interesting? I spent such a long time typing all that up to.... *pouts*
Fred

Post by Fred »

Nomad,

I am reminded of a quote. "No good deed goes unpunished."

I have seen this same abusive silliness before. That's why I said what I did just before you posted.

I hope this won't deter you from continuing to help those that really need it in the future.

Fred
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

If you are paranoid that running the liveCD is gunna somehow delete your entire harddrive then maybe you should do a backup before you start playing around with Linux, especially if you plan to install it and not just run it from the CD.

Though I'm guessing you wont know how to backup either? :roll:
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Don't worry about any warnings it gives you Mint Fresh, It won't hurt your hard drive. Remember if you don't want to delete Windows then when you get to Step Thirteen of my guide you want the option that shows a slider bar. (Should say like 51% above it) This will seperate your Hard Drive into 2 groups, one will still be Windows just as you left it, the other will be Linux Mint. Don't cancel the installation after this screen though! just press forward till it has a loading bar. Then when its done click "Restart Now" Thats all there is to it :)
Toxic

Post by Toxic »

Maybe you should buy a live cd or find someone to make you one. plus make sure you have a dvd drive to run it, or a dvd burner if you intend to burn it yourself. Another option is that dell I hear is offering Linux preinstalled on some of their units.
Toxic

Post by Toxic »

Oops I posted before I saw that there was a second page to this thread.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This topic has been reported
The person that reported it wrote
This person has abused the helpers in this forum by posting and continuing to plead misunderstanding. This has caused a number of people to spend a considerable amount of time trying to help for a bogus problem. This was done for the entertainment of the thread starter. I have seen this kind of behavior before and it is quite objectionable. I also deters others from helping with a genuine problem for fear they are being set up to be the butt of a joke.
After a quick read of the topic I agree and topic will be locked
The topic starter will be warned

Return to “Beginner Questions”