Changing layout of whisker menu/revert to mint 14 style menu

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beamer145

Changing layout of whisker menu/revert to mint 14 style menu

Post by beamer145 »

The layout of the whisker menu does not seem very efficient to me, as it results in unnecessary mouse movements.

Eg in my case the the taskbar is vertically aligned with the menu button top left (but the remarks hold for a more standard taskbar at the bottom as well).

The 2 scenarios I use most are:
[1] If I open the menu to start an application : I start on the top left side of the screen, then I have to go all the way to the right of the menu to select a category, then to the left again to select an application.

[2] If I open the menu to powerdown the pc, starting from the top left side I have to go to the bottom right to go to the shutdown button

(the layout breaks with what we have been doing for the past 20 years, so I really wonder why the author choose to do it that way)

Is there a way to change the layout (except for changing the code and recompiling), move the applications part to the right of the categories, move to shutdown button to the left and my case also to the top). I can't seem to find much configuration/costumization possibilities ?

And how can I go back to eg e mint 14 style menu ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobafetthotmail

Re: Changing layout of whisker menu/revert to mint 14 style

Post by bobafetthotmail »

Wisker is more like Cinnamon and Windows 7 start/application menus, and most users I know tend to welcome it happily.

Then again, your PC, your rules. Xfce panel allows a lot of tweaking.

Open the Settings panel, click on Panel, select the panel you want the menu added to (if you have more than one), click on the + (the button to add an item to the panel) and select "application menu". Then you have the standard xfce menu, right click on it and select properties to change icon, name and stuff, and move it wherever you like with the up and down arrows in the Panel option window.

Then you can either delete wisker or move it somewhere else.

Note that from the same Panel options you can add power down buttons and other stuff too. Action Buttons, then properties of it, and then if you select the Log Out... with Action Button appearence and you get the same icon and button as the one in wisker menu, that opens the same panel asking you if you want to reboot/shutdown/log-out/whatever.
beamer145

Post by beamer145 »

Thanks for the explanation !, I still have some minor strange stuff (the Lock Screen options appears in between the Internet and Multimedia categories instead of at the bottom for some reason, and Terminal is not with Run program in the same section but in the section below), but I will be able figure that out I think.

>Wisker is more like Cinnamon and Windows 7 start/application menus, and most users I know tend to welcome it happily.
Yeah :), I had quite some work to change my W7 machine look and feel to match (the old boring but imho functional) W2000, with the addition of the added W7 search bar which I sometimes find usefull. Everthing after that is mostly teletubbie bloat and strange design choices that get in the way of my workflow in my eyes (Also: no multi row taskbar support in Cinnamon last time i tried, so I gave up on that).
But everyone has its own opinion on this and as long as I can change it into something I like, I am more than happy.

Thanks again !
bobafetthotmail

Post by bobafetthotmail »

glad you sorted out.

In case you want to keep the "search application" thing even if you nuke wisker menu, you can add it as if it was an app to your panel (because well, it is a standalone app), through the Launcher item in the Add New Items panel.

The search app is called Application Finder and is in the menu as well. You can add shortcuts of other applications to the panel ala Windows 7 taskbar as well (or like Cinnamon).

As for editing the menu, try to look at [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=109240]this thread[/url]. I have yet to try it myself but seems to work.

Return to “Xfce”