mplayer falcon cam problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

mplayer falcon cam problems

Post by zipidachimp »

why does mplayer start then immediately stop when I click a link to the pennsylvania falcon cam? 4 chicks have hatched, i need to continue to watch this. how? :( :(http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/falcon/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: mplayer falcon cam problems

Post by Husse »

This link works in Totem
http://www.dgsweb.state.pa.us/CMSUpload ... falcon.asx
Archive > Open location
but I can't get the mplayer plugin to work - could possibly have to do with .asx which is Microsoft specific
zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zipidachimp »

The link works in xp but not mint. strangely, it works with kmplayer in pclinuxos2007 ! Thanks anyway. :(
zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zipidachimp »

just discovered it works in 'konqueror' on mandriva 2008, also. now, for linux mint................. :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Mint is generally well behaved with multimedia, but I have discovered that mplayer is not as well behaved as you would want it to be
Don't know why
If you have noscript you have to allow the site....
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Aww, the falcons look cute. It's a shame I can't see them on the camera.

Though it works perfectly in Totem.

Isn't there a gstreamer add-on in Synaptic that allows for some extra Microsoft proprietary formats? And if so, why does it not work in mplayer?
Husse

Post by Husse »

In this case I think it has to do with the url
The video stream is not coming from the url in the link but from some address beginning with asx.
I think tis is interpreted wrongly and causes mplayer to crash
zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zipidachimp »

might it be fixed in 5.0? i tried it in konqueror in mandriva live cd, kaffeine, and it works.

Return to “Beginner Questions”