Diablo 3

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
odinnholm

Diablo 3

Post by odinnholm »

Hi, I am using Mint 15, how can I install and play my beloved Diablo 3, I have Wine and playonlinux installed already?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kainbox

Re: Diablo 3

Post by Kainbox »

Hello,
I know it's been some time since you posted your question but how have you gotten on with installing diablo on you linux box?
If you are still having issues I can help you out.
Booman

Post by Booman »

I definitely recommend PlayOnLinux. You can use the Wine Manager to install a patched version of Wine just for Diablo 3.

Which version of Diablo do you have? The DVD or the downloaded one?

Remember if you have 64-bit Mint 15, install the game in a 32-bit Virtual Drive.
Try Wine 1.5.5-DiabloIII_V3
There may be newer ones by now

I don't have Diablo 3, but I tests lots of games in PlayOnLinux, so if you have questions please shoot.
Kainbox

Post by Kainbox »

Booman wrote:I definitely recommend PlayOnLinux. You can use the Wine Manager to install a patched version of Wine just for Diablo 3.

Which version of Diablo do you have? The DVD or the downloaded one?

Remember if you have 64-bit Mint 15, install the game in a 32-bit Virtual Drive.
Try Wine 1.5.5-DiabloIII_V3
There may be newer ones by now

I don't have Diablo 3, but I tests lots of games in PlayOnLinux, so if you have questions please shoot.

Agreed!
I would say download the installer I find It easier to use.
Also wine version 1.6 works for me, there should be plenty of tutorials for installing this around and even on youtube but I have done a quick walk through on youtube I will post you the link as soon as I have finished uploading.
Kainbox

Post by Kainbox »

Here is a link to the tutorial [url]http://youtu.be/fY-7sOkLj9U[/url]
Hope this helps.
Stewbond

Post by Stewbond »

I use wine and it works well. At somepoint I did an apt-get update and some new wine libraries killed the stability of the game when in the menus (I could usually get into a game, but auction hall was impossible). I found the problem was a x64/x86 issue and solved it by launching the game with this command instead of using the updater/launcher that you would normally use:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/stew/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Diablo\ III
setarch i386 -3 -L -B -R wine Diablo\ III.exe -launch
Booman

Post by Booman »

Cool, didn't know about the

Code: Select all

setarch
command.
Thanks for the tip
iCoach

Diablo 3

Post by iCoach »

Just to say, on my default Mint 13 64 Cinnamon (as I'm a noob so only "basic updates" were done to Mint throught unpdate manager) I just installed Wine and PlayOnLinux through Software Management (so the default versions it can provide), downloaded Diablo 3 setup through Battlenet, installed it through PlayOnLinux, it has "auto-updated" some files/missing files (gecko or something, just clicked yes at all popups error of wathever) then the download/install Diablo poped up, clicked "Install". Once done (status bar all green 100% done) I clicked Play and BOOM, cinematics played, did my toon and started a game... almost magic!!!!

I was honestly surprised, I wouldn't even hope that would be so easy, like in a fairytale!! :P

That's my experiment of install/play Diablo 3 on Maya Cinnamon 64 with Wine and PlayOnLinux, I wish you all the same experience!

Now let's try with WoW ;-)
Booman

Post by Booman »

I"m glad it was so easy for you!
That is really good to hear!

I have had that happen with a few games, but also quite the opposite with other games.
For example: Assassin's Creed originally refused to run. I tried a bunch of things and did a lot of research and it would install/play but had a lot of keyboard/mouse problems.
So I gave up and moved on to other games.
Several months later, I tried Assassin's Creed again and it worked!

Feel free to look over my list of games in my signature to see what games are working and which games are not.
I even have step-by-step guides for some of them.

Return to “Gaming”