No file encryption with Seahorse?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redman

No file encryption with Seahorse?

Post by redman »

When I install the "seahorse" and the "seahorse-nautilus" packages under Mint 13, I can not encrypt files from the desktop (no right-click "encrypt" option).
After searching on Google I found several Ubuntu related items, but nothing specific for Mint 13. The only bit of info I found was this article on this forum.

Any suggestions or info how to get this working under Mint 13?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: No file encryption with Seahorse?

Post by usbtux »

As you have already done the search, is it fixable in ubuntu?

If it has use the same procedure use that. If not the problems is ongoing due to the files being no longer available.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

A good solution is to rather install and use "nemo" and "nemo-seahorse" instead of nautilus. You will have encrypt/decrypt options back in your right-click menu.
s_raiguel

Post by s_raiguel »

Yeah, you'll have these functions back in the right-click menu...they just won't work under Nemo. There's some kind of problem with the Seahorse implementation in M15/Nemo. In the beginning, "Encrypt" and "Decrypt" didn't appear at all. Now they appear, you click on them, they ask for a password and....nothing happens.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

My answer was only for LM13 and the Nemo version available 10 months ago... Now under newer releases of Nemo it does not work. You have to install GPA for file encryption/decryption but it won't grant you any right-click menu in Nemo or Nautilus.
s_raiguel

Post by s_raiguel »

My appologies to poster "eanfried". On re-reading my last, rather grumpy, post, I realized it probably sounded as though I was being snippy regarding eanfried's perfectly sound advice about about installing nemo-seahorse. Not the case! I was merely expressing annoyance at the developers for breaking Seahorse in the first place, and then allowing it to continue unfixed for well over a year. (Still waiting.........)
davw

Post by davw »

Is this really still broken?

Return to “Software & Applications”