Painfully slow DNS lookups

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
vivekosuri

Painfully slow DNS lookups

Post by vivekosuri »

I recently installed LMDE distro on my Laptop. I am experiencing slow internet speeds on wireless. I just used developer tools from chrome and checked the network tab for root cause. I am seeing 25 second DNS lookups. But, I don't see the same problem on my other laptop or on my iPad either. I ran the speed tests on other devices - they
are showing little more than 8mbps download speeds.

I changed my DNS servers to google's DNS. But, no luck. Still seeing slow DNS lookups. Really appreciate any help fixing this issue.

Edit: BTW, the slow dns requests are not consistent. I see them continuously for few minutes. Then, all good for few minutes and the cycle follows.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Painfully slow DNS lookups

Post by xenopeek »

Moved to LMDE forum, ahum :)

Have you done other speeds tests? (i.e., is only DNS intermittently slow, or also down-/upload speeds) Have you investigated dmesg output, or system logs, when the problem occurs? Any messages there about your network? And have you looked in DDM whether there is an alternative driver available for your wireless? Certain manufacturers, like Broadcom, have poor support on Linux and will probably need a binary driver to work better (instead of the preferred open source driver).
vivekosuri

Re: Painfully slow DNS lookups

Post by vivekosuri »

Thanks for moving my post to the right group.

I checked DDM as you suggested. Seems, there are no alternatives :(

I checked dmesg output. It spitted a lot to the console :) Wondering if I should grep "net" on the dmesg output?

Right now, things seem ok since I restarted machine yesterday. But, I am monitoring both dns lookups and internet speeds constantly. [But, I am sure slow DNS lookups will come back as per the pattern]

Thanks!

Return to “LMDE Archive”