3 Questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
unkabuzz

3 Questions

Post by unkabuzz »

Lenovo S10 3T Convertible netbook. 320 Gb HD 1.66 Ghz processor, 2GB Ram
I have been using Mint for a few weeks now. I have 3 questions.
1. Is there a way to Re-Size the minimize/maximize/Close buttons to make them more finger friendly?
2. Is there a method to enable "right-click" with a touch screen?
3. The touchpad on my computer seems extremely sensitive. The cursor seems to jump around a lot. (I want to move a little, it goes to the other side of the page instead). Can I "tone it down" somehow?

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: 3 Questions

Post by passerby »

I have no experience running Mint with a touchscreen device, but:
1. Try using a different theme for your window manager. What desktop environment are you using? (Cinnamon? MATE?)
3. There are settings for this, but once again it depends on your desktop environment.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Have you tried mouse settings area for slowing down the touchpad? You can try the Configuration Editor in the Menu under the Applications, System Tools. It's in the peripherals, desktop area, under mate in Configuration Editor.

The easiest way to make things appear bigger on monitor is to lower the resolution. Clk on Menu, then Monitors, and change to the next lower resolution.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
unkabuzz

Post by unkabuzz »

passerby,
I am running Cinnamon. I have done a lot of adjustments like editing the panel size and location, etc. I found the settings to change the minimize/maximize buttons to the right or left side and change their order, but I didn't see any way to adjust their size. How do I change to Mate or Gnome or ?? In themes all I see is Cinnamon and Linux Mint and they both appear the same on my screen as far as I can tell.
I adjusted the touchpad settings and it seems minutely better but to copy a portion of text you need to be very slow and deliberate or it copys a whole paragraph.
Anybody have a solution for right click on a touchscreen???
Thanks for your help, Unkabuzz
passerby

Post by passerby »

You can grab some Cinnamon themes here: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes
Dunno how many are designed with touchscreens in mint though.
There isn't a setting for the size (AFAIK); you'd need to manually edit the images and/or theme files. I'd suggest looking for a touchscreen-compatible theme (google something like GTK3 touch screen theme).

I don't know how much of what you want will be feasible just yet. Touch screen support looks to be a work in progress.
uncndl1

3 Questions

Post by uncndl1 »

From the Panasonic Toughbook Forums user Sadlmkr posted this: "For the touchpad:
open a terminal: shortcut is to right click the desktop and select it from the menu.
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.conf
In the blank Gedit Text Editor type
options psmouse resolution=400
[Save]

If you don't do this the touchpad will drive you nuts. It did me. :D
I like to bump the Whisker Menu Icon with my thumb and open the file I want again with a thumb bump. Sooo.....Right click the bottom panel, select [Panel][Panel Preferences] and tune the row size to suit. I use 40 giving a scant half inch panel with larger icons.
We can discuss application keyboard shortcuts at a later date. Somebody try this and tell me if there is a problem.
I like that I can put the caddy in any Toughbook (CF-29) and it will work and work well. Thanks to MINT developers for a nice OS."
uncndl1

3 Questions

Post by uncndl1 »

Here is the link to above quote:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=728966

Return to “Beginner Questions”