good news too: ubuntu804 installs on my P4DC

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

good news too: ubuntu804 installs on my P4DC

Post by capricornus »

and what's the fuss? well, it is definitely good news. All *buntu 7** - and therefor derived mint - halted by booting up on my P4DC (with VIA southbridge and NVIDIA videocard), and no noapic could solve it, and if it did, the freshly installed version just halted too...

Now, I still have to add noapic nolapic, but then, the whole thing runs as it should: this gives me good hopes for mint5.

I'm writing this on Puppy4 on a USB stick, + FF + OpenOffice!, runs incredibly fast and smooth, runs on every system in the house. (But - there is always a but - : no way to install CrossOver).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: good news too: ubuntu804 installs on my P4DC

Post by rivenought »

This is indeed some very good and positive news. Congratulations!
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Re: good news too: ubuntu804 installs on my P4DC

Post by capricornus »

No congrats necessary, I just wanted to boost the good news. Because there ARE pc's on which the *buntu's and mints wont run...
I'm writing this with Ubuntu804 FF3 with di.fm running and CrossOver+OffciceXP installed as it should be, as it is naturally with Mepis7 (the other OS on the HD of this testing system).
Now is the time for Mint5, it will bring us a very good OS with a very good GUI, and perfect perfections: alleluja.
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

and a drawback for 804

Post by capricornus »

Strange. CrossOver installed smootly, as did OfficeXP. Frontpage opens, and while opening a file or adding a css-file, the program just freezes, and after a minute or so I can either wait either force a quit. It does it again and again. It does not so on Mepis7 or Granular1, or Mint4.
I know there are alternatives to editing html, thát's not the point. The point is that it should just work without freezing. If things freeze under Wine-under-Ubuntu804, that could be a drawback for using and promoting this distro. For me it does and will.

Return to “Installation & Boot”