Funny printing problem with Canon PIXMA MP140

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Funny printing problem with Canon PIXMA MP140

Post by turboscrew »

I have Canon Pixma MP140 attached to Mint 14 machine shared via Samba/Cups.

I was paying bills with another machine running Windows Vista.

After paying I printed out the receipts.

First one - OK.
Second one - OK.
Third one - the printing failed: The job was seen in Cups web page as "being processed", but nothing came out.
I cancelled all jobs and printed it again from the Windows machine. Tried to turn off the printer - but it didn't.
Just the power light was left blinking. So I did a "power chord reset" and printed again from the windows machine and
it printed OK.
4th one OK.
5th one - the printing never ended: The job was seen in Cups web page as "sending data", and the printer indicated processing, but
nothing came out. I cancelled the printing, did the "power chord reset" to the printer and reprinted from Cups.
It printed OK.

At some point (I don't remember where) I saw some notification that Cups was waiting some indication from the printer, but I guess it never came?

Tried now with another printing. The job was seen in Cups web page as "completed", but the printer still indicates processing something.
After about 5 mins I made the "power chord reset".

The funny thing is, I used to have an older MoBo with Puppy installed and there was no problems with the printer then,
and the printing was MUCH faster eve if otherwise the system was slower. In puppy I had Samba-TNG + Cups + PIXMA MP150 drivers.

The questions are:
a) How could I find out what's wrong (which logs etc.)
b) Do 150-drivers work better than 140-drivers?
c) Is Samba much slower than Samba-TNG? (with old setup printing took about 15 seconds, with current setup about 1 minute and 10 seconds)

Current Samba is 2:3.6.6-3ubuntu5
Current Cups is 1.6.1-0ubuntu11
Current driver is Driver: Canon PIXMA MP140 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9 (color, 2-sided printing) (I don't know how to find out the MP140 driver version).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Funny printing problem with Canon PIXMA MP140

Post by turboscrew »

A-ha, I'm not the only one:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ixma+mp140

Which package should I downgrade? printer-driver-gutenprint?
And to which version?
And should I use PM140 or MP150 drivers?
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

Has anybody tried Raring's packages? I understand it uses Cups 1.6.2-1ubuntu5.

The https://launchpad.net/~till-kamppeter/+archive/ppa
might help, but Quantal only has one package: cups-filters, and Raring has no cups-related packages.

Also, ppa:michael-gruz/canon has no packages for Quantal or Raring. just Oneiric and earlier.
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

I selected canon PIXMA MP140, but it doesn't seem to work.

Then I tried installing the .deb-drivers from Canon website, but I got:

Code: Select all

$ sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 178707 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace cnijfilter-common 2.80-1 (using cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement cnijfilter-common ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cnijfilter-common:
 cnijfilter-common depends on libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.1).

dpkg: error processing cnijfilter-common (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 cnijfilter-common
I didn't find "libcupsys" in my system at all. Libcups2 was the closest found by Synaptic.

BTW, is i386 work with 64-bit Mint 14 anyway?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This PPA has newer versions of the drivers, suitable for current versions of Linux Mint: https://launchpad.net/~michael-gruz/+ar ... anon-trunk. Not sure if these drivers will work without problems, but at least these are built for your release of Linux Mint.
gubmint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gubmint »

Did you ever solve this problem? I have pretty much the same thing happening with my Canon D420 under CUPS. Every few print jobs, it basically seizes up. Sometimes I can clear all jobs in CUPS and get it working again, but usually I have to power cycle it and re-send the job. It works, but it's annoying. Looking at the status in CUPS right now, it shows:

Idle - "Sending data to printer."

That seems suspicious. Why would it be sending data when all jobs are shown as complete?

I tried changing "loglevel" from "warn" to "debug" in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to see if there are any broken packages, but nothing is written to /var/log/cups/error_log after restarting CUPS.
gubmint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gubmint »

I noticed today that simply pressing the Energy Saver button prior to printing does the trick. There must be a slight incompatibility that keeps the printer from being woken up after it has powered down the first time. If the display is still lit up but the Energy Saver button is no longer illuminated (meaning not fully alseep), it'll show a printer error if you don't press the button first, so the print job is being received but some signal is missing with the Linux driver.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”