Building Cinnamon 1.8 on LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Spenc3

Building Cinnamon 1.8 on LMDE

Post by Spenc3 »

Hi,

Does anyone got Cinnamon 1.8 working on LMDE? I've downloaded Cinnamon 1.8 and Muffin 1.2 off GitHub but I'm not able to get it build. Any help is appreciated :D

I'm following the steps of this guide http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955 with the latest version off GitHub. I also got the latest

Here's what i got when i try to do dpkg-buildpackage I got the following error:
dpkg-shlibdeps: error: no dependency information found for /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (used by debian/muffin/usr/bin/muffin)

The make and make install works properly though.

With regards to Cinnamon, I'm getting the following error on make:
cinnamon-recorder-src.c: In function ‘cinnamon_recorder_src_init’:
cinnamon-recorder-src.c:43:3: error: ‘g_mutex_new’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/local/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/gthread.h:272) [-Werror=deprecated-declarations]
cinnamon-recorder-src.c: In function ‘cinnamon_recorder_src_finalize’:
cinnamon-recorder-src.c:143:3: error: ‘g_mutex_free’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/local/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/gthread.h:274) [-Werror=deprecated-declarations]
Can anyone give me a hand?

Thanks,
Spencer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Building Cinnamon 1.8 on LMDE

Post by passerby »

I haven't tried to build it, and I don't have a solution for your errors, but I do have 1.8 installed. It's available in Romeo for LMDE.
I'm sure it doesn't beat the satisfaction of compiling it yourself, but it's an easy installation for those of us who just want it to work :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Yup I got it working nicely.
I just went to synapics, made romeo available by clicking the checkbox in the resources, reloaded it, did a search for cinnamon muffin and nemo and upgraded then all along with anything they needed, like girl I think it was I also installed cinnamon-screensaver, it removed gnome-screensaver, hit apply for all the upgrades and removal of gnome-screensaver in place for the cinnamon-screensaver, so it installed them all, then unchecked romeo and reloaded again (just so I have control over romeo) that part is optional for you, I like to have more control over the repos, rebooted and presto it all worked nicely for me.
I also have the new mdm installed but you will need the libc6 2.17 from unstable to get that one working.
It works nice in LMDE, I'm just waiting for the finished product to hit romeo now so I can update it to cinnamon 1.8.6 now instead. I have 1.8.2
If you go here this is pretty much all the stuff I installed through synapics to get it working: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... bian#romeo
Sam
Troyka

Post by Troyka »

i dont want to build it but do want to install 1.8 cinnamon on lmde, but dont know what romeo is... what is it and will it give me anything more in lmde?
passerby

Post by passerby »

Troyka wrote:i dont want to build it but do want to install 1.8 cinnamon on lmde, but dont know what romeo is... what is it and will it give me anything more in lmde?
Romeo is the unstable branch of LMDE's repository. You will get new packages if you enable it, but the packages therein are considered unsuitable for standard users.
Either way, you can enable it through the update manager by going to Edit > Software Sources, and in the first tab there will be a checkbox for Romeo. Check it, close Software Sources, then refresh the update window.
The directions may not be 100% the same for LMDE (I'm on a LM13 MATE machine right now), but they should be similar enough for you to successfully enable Romeo.

Return to “LMDE Archive”