Keyboard shortcut to raise the menu? [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lewyssmith

Keyboard shortcut to raise the menu? [SOLVED]

Post by lewyssmith »

It seems one cannot have a keyboard shortcut to raise the application menu. (Ideally, the 'windows' key alone if you have one; but that is usually designated a 'meta-key' in Linux, insisting on another key in combination. Grrr). I have looked in the forum & the Xfce documentation, but find no mention of this possibility. It is not, for example, in the menu 'properties' dialogue, nor 'Settings/Keybaord/Application shortcuts'). It is irritating having to grab the mouse when after raising the menu one can navigate surely from the keyboard. If it matters, I am on the *Debian* edition.

Can one ask for this functionality?

I know an actual Xfce File Manager (Thunar) bug. How do I report that?

Lewis Smith
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jamesc359

Re: Keyboard shortcut to raise the menu?

Post by Jamesc359 »

Binding the Windows key to the command xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu in 'Settings/Keybaord/Application shortcuts' has always worked for me. You'll have to bind them twice, one for the left key and one for the right.
lewyssmith

Post by lewyssmith »

Thank you Jamesc359 for your helpful reply. I have not noticed the magic application-ID xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu you cited. BTAIM, when I do Settings->Keyboard->Application shortcuts, 'xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu' is not in the short list of existing commands i.e. not a question of re-assigning a keystroke. So I try ADD, and get a small window to input

Code: Select all

Shortcut
Command
except that *there is no input field for the Shortcut*! I can input the XFCE command you gave, but no keystroke. If I click OK for that, another dialogue pops up wanting the shortcut - but again, no input field for same!

Stymied. Any other suggestion gratefully received.

Lewis Smith
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Lewis> On my keyboards there is a key just to the left of the rt Ctrl key with a Windows key to the left. The image on the key is one of a menu and cursor - pressing this key brings up the menu wherever the cursor is. I don't know what the key is called but maybe it works for you. (I made no bindings or shortcuts - it is default). If anyone knows the name for this key I would like to know.

Pat
lewyssmith

Re: Keyboard shortcut to raise the menu? [SOLVED]

Post by lewyssmith »

Palo - thanks for this intriguing find. This key *looks* like a menu key, anyway. What it brings up is the *Desktop* menu, same as right-clicking on the desktop. True, that takes you to the *applications* section of the main menu, which is certainly worth knowing.
But it does not include all the main menu elements, particularly the 'Logout' options.

Wait! I have just found the answer, as per Jamesc359 - but not intuitive. As he said...
Settings -> Keyboard -> Application shortcuts: ADD <Shortcut - no entry accepted> <Command xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu> OK
Next dialogue: <Command has xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu>
<Shortcut offers no entry box, but type the keystroke> and it sticks. Close.

And it accepted the LH Windows key all alone - great; if obscure.

Thanks for the feedback. Lewis Smith
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

lewyssmith wrote:Settings -> Keyboard -> Application shortcuts: ADD <Shortcut - no entry accepted> <Command xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu> OK
Next dialogue: <Command has xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu>
<Shortcut offers no entry box, but type the keystroke> and it sticks. Close.

And it accepted the LH Windows key all alone - great; if obscure.
Well kudos to you Lewis. I just set it as you described and it worked.

Pat
aaronj

Post by aaronj »

Thank you so much for solving the shortcut command issue

I joined the Linuxmint forum just to thank you for this.

Return to “Xfce”