Sorted: Cannot use channel 12 or 13 on my wifi in the UK

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
colinbate

Sorted: Cannot use channel 12 or 13 on my wifi in the UK

Post by colinbate »

I got my wifi working using wifix but my router is set to channel 13 & cant connect if I drop to channel 12 still wont work but works ok on channel 11 this is in the UK where we can use these channels.
I suspect the driver is set to a country which doesn't allow these channels. Can anyone help with this problem.

Regards
Colin bate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
colinbate

Re: Cannot use channel 12 or 13 on my wifi in the UK

Post by colinbate »

I have done some more research & channels 12 & 13 are not available in the USA.
How do I change driver settings to Europe where we are allowed to use these channels.

Regards
Colin Bate
colinbate

Re: Sorted: Cannot use channel 12 or 13 on my wifi in the UK

Post by colinbate »

I found this and it worked for me.

Add the following line :
to options file
cfg80211 ieee80211_regdom="EU"
in
/etc/modprobe.d/options

add file options if doesn't exist.

from this link
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/268388

Regards
Colin Bate
monkeyfish

Post by monkeyfish »

Hello, I have exactly the same promlem, but I am a complete linux newbe. I found the directory /etc/modprobe.d/ easily enough, but I don't have an 'options' file, and for the life of me I can't work out how to put one there. If I right click or go to file the 'create new document' option is greyed out. I figured I might need to log in with the admin password to do it, but I can't find where to do this.

I'm using channel 10 at the moment, but I'd like channel 13 as I get a better connection. I'm running Mint 15 Cinamon on an HP 6735s, I already had quite a lot of greif getting the wifi to work in the first place (the soft button to turn it on wasn't working), so I'm hoping someone can walk me through the process without me breaking it. Thanks.
monkeyfish

Post by monkeyfish »

OK. After many hours of typing su commands into the terminal to make an 'options' file I finnally hit upon the right command(!), then I realised there is a 'open as root' option in the GUI. Damn. Well, I guess I learned something. Anyway, I have actually made an options file and put the suggested text in it, but alas it doesn't work. Re-booted obviously, and tried GB instead of EU. Also tried adding 'options' to the start of the text in the options file (as suggested on other forums on the issue), still no luck.

Any other suggestions?

Return to “Networking”