We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ketoth

Re: We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Post by ketoth »

sobrus wrote:As far as I know UP6 will be released no later than 2 months from now. Together with new ISO images.
UP6 as Christmas present from the Mint dev team ? :D
I'm really looking forward for UP6, I've decided that I will reinstall fresh from ISO but now with Cinnamon.

But like the thread's topic says: we need more testers. More people who can use a separate hard disk to check if UP6 on "incoming" works fine on the hardware. Check if all favorite software works fine (and that you can find it in the repos). Check if CPU and MEM load is correct. The more people test it with different situations, the more stable the update pack will be.

And another thing: there will be a few more APT mirrors to download from. But despite by checks on the possible available unlisted mirrors, there a "few" to "no" mirrors in the USA. USA is by far where LMDE is the most used, and it just happens that the only available server there is the official one (debian.linuxmint.com). It's already overloaded, constantly. So dear sysadmins from the USA: please, open up a repository mirror in your homeland :( Gonna write a quick-and-easy setup guide to help less experienced sysadmins to achieve this right.
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

I don't need a seperate hard drive, I've got my sources pointed at the incoming repo! So I guess that makes me a tester of sorts, apart from I'm unaware of the bug reporting procedure (other than posting here). Is there a formalised Bugzila-type system? Is there an automatic bug reporting tool in the repo I should be using?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

chemicalfan wrote:apart from I'm unaware of the bug reporting procedure (other than posting here).
everytime an UP is released to incoming Clem opens a topic in this same sub-topic (you will see the 5 previous if you browse it)
that's where we should give our feedback.
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

Thanks ZZ, isn't that a bit messy though? I mean, you could get lots of duplicate reports unless OP is meticulously updated...
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

ketoth wrote:But like the thread's topic says: we need more testers. More people who can use a separate hard disk to check if UP6 on "incoming" works fine on the hardware. Check if all favorite software works fine (and that you can find it in the repos). Check if CPU and MEM load is correct. The more people test it with different situations, the more stable the update pack will be.
That's the theory. Something to consider is how to motivate people to be testers. Having almost everything you report ignored is not exactly motivating (I'm still having some of the problems I reported with UP3 and none of the issues I mentioned for UP5 have even been acknowledged as problems...).

I'm thinking of buying a new computer soon and I'm not even sure I'm going to install LMDE on it anymore. :(
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

personally is LMDE a side distro of the main Mint, the effort they give on develop lmde is very low.... not a little updates it doesnt come when pointing on sid everyday to on a day, and personally with a test repo and testers and a bacport for firefox and other things, you could make lmde stable personally cant be an issue, can even different a week , when you maintain the stuf you can test it well but you do monthly there will be Huge data to proces and that could bring unstable, only at linux core and some hardware drivers you need much care...... when programm like minitube breaks it wouldnt care, send it as bug and it would repare it soon......

i dont see the problem... debian-testing is personally Lame, And ubuntu is good to float with the crowth but lmde could be great on the higher level....lots of people want to test, but development is verry lame as i taste .. on smaller distro it rolling everyweek and the snapshot of the repo difference a week and feeling stable too.. i dont see the problem!!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

just a very small face-lifting in the OP :D
frankster

Post by frankster »

Is there anything happening with incoming at the moment?
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

[rimg]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01205/sleep-computer-460_1205647c.jpg[/rimg]
caramba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caramba »

Just to inform, after running Mint Update on Sept 17 (huge download) and apparently a new kernel (3.10.2, from 3.2.0.4),
my install doesn't boot anymore. It breaks before the login window.
I don't know if it is Update Pack 7 or if it is the new kernel, or what else, but testing is out.
There might only be forensic, till I reload the distribution from scratch (+ AptonCD for speeding up)

first question : do you have reports concerning these updates ?

second question : How often are the distributions on the Mint server updated ? Do you include the update pack directly into
them ? maybe after some time, for testing ?

I won't complain too much, I have 2 partitions with running LMDE, and most of HOME on another partition, so
I still can write this message... LMDE can be a bit rough, it is indeed... but when it runs, it's really good !
I'm not planning to update the remaining systems until some positive news
Tim-int
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tim-int »

UP7 is out: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=144198
I'd check the repositories, update and try to see if there are broken packages in terminal: Ctrl+ALt+F1 - you go back to GUI with Ctrl+ALt+F6 (or F7 try).
Search on forum. There should be either incoiming OR latest repositories.
caramba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caramba »

OK, so ctrl alt F1 opened the console, but startx or ctrl alt F6 won't work
I tried updating using aptitude
(update, install gtkorphan, upgrade) but final result shows no difference
The login screen flashes 3 times, then it shows a blank screen...

One question, on another system I checked mint-mirrors and was proposed another mirror. The one used by the broken
system may be outdated, as i remember that not all index files could be retrieved.

I haven't tried upgrading on other systems.

Any other suggestions ?

Additional info : the broken system runs on a SSD partition, the machine has EFI boot with MINT 15 then grub in MINT 15 that allows
to select Mint Debian. It is possible to mount the broken partition and check for infos inside, if you have questions.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@caramba
this is not a support topic; if you have issues with UP7 please open a separate topic.
thanks
caramba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caramba »

sorry if I'm not in the right topic. I'll join an existing one concerning broken LMDE
following upgrade. I'm about to re-install from scratch anyway... Good luck for the rest, and thanks for the advices anyway
jdackle

Post by jdackle »

I'd post this in the "UPDATE PACK 7 FEEDBACK" but it's locked since Sept 18, allegedly because it was going to latest. But it wasn't in latest yesterday... Anyway, just a little feedback here:

I switched to incoming yesterday, started the upgrade and finished today (a lot to download). The upgrade went rather smoothly, though the packages needed two 'apt-get upgrade' to all be installed (normal for so much to be upgraded).

I haven't tested much but most everything seems to be working alright.
I do have a couple things to say about XFCE (I know it's not supported by Mint anymore but still, if anyone would be interested):
- My main panel used to have the Apss menu and Windows list on the left, the Notification area, clock etc on the right. Now the Notification area is set sort of to the left as well, more precisely, its left end is attached to the right end of Windows list and I can't seem to find a way to get all that "justified" (to use a word processing metaphor) to the right;
- I don't think it's related to the above but I find it relevant either way. I now have two 'libxfceutil' packages installed: libxfceutil4 (related to XFCE 4.8) and 'libxfceutil6' (related to XFCE 4.10). Trying to remove the old libxfceutil4 prompts me to remove these other packages as well: glade-xfce, libxfcemenu-0.1-0 and xfprint4. I don't know whether those three packages just need to have their required libxfceutil dependency updated to 6/XFCE 4.10 (in the package deps) or whether they would actually break if they used that version.

There are my 2 cents.

Return to “LMDE Archive”