screen brightness setting isn't saved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jms

screen brightness setting isn't saved

Post by jms »

Hi, I'm able to adjust my screen brightness settings just fine, the only issue I have is that they don't save after the computer reboots or hibernates. It always resets the screen to maximum brightness.

How can I fix this so that my screen brightness is saved permanently? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
aviatorgeek

Re: screen brightness setting isn't saved

Post by aviatorgeek »

I have the same problem. Linux Mint 14 "Nadia" with Cinnamon on Asus N56V. I set the brightness to desired level using the Brightness and Lock settings. If any of the following happens, the screen resets to full brightness:
- let the screen timeout and lock (screen turns off to save power)
- standby / resume
- hibernate / resume

Incidentally I also note a problem with the brightness control applet: it "inverses" the brightness setting each time I click it:
- click brightness control applet
- set brightness to 30% (ok)
- click brightness control applet again: brightness switches to 70% (100% - 30%)
- set brightness to 40% (ok)
- click brightness control applet again: brightness switches to 60% (100% - 40%)

Is this a known bug?
hasson

Re: screen brightness setting isn't saved

Post by hasson »

same issue here...
HanekDaikaen

A partial solution

Post by HanekDaikaen »

I could save a certain value of brightness adding the line:

Code: Select all

echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
to the file /etc/rc.local as seen below:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.
echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness                          <·······
exit 0
It turns brightness to minimum when initiating.
Other values of brightness can be set by changing the number after "echo". Numbers allowed go from 0 (minimum) to a maximum value indicated in the file /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/max_brigthness

- Note that acpi_video0 could have another name.
- I can't guarantee it will work on every machine. I know it worked for me (Toshiba laptop, intel integrated graphics and linux mint 15)

I hope it helps.

Return to “Beginner Questions”