Touchpad Tapping - Stops working after suspend resume

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anandrkris

Touchpad Tapping - Stops working after suspend resume

Post by anandrkris »

Hi - I am using Mint Cinnamon (daily PPA) and after hibernate or suspend & resume and my laptop touchpad tapping stops working. Currently, have to enable it using synpatiks.
Any idea what could be the issue? Let me know if any more info is required. dmesg?

P.S. I use KDE as well but donot face this issue.
P.P.S For my USB Mouse, had an issue of USB disconnecting automatically. The below fixed the issue.
[url]http://www.hecticgeek.com/2012/06/fix-usb-mouse-not-working-laptop-mode-tools-ubuntu/[/url]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gatb27

Re: Touchpad Tapping - Stops working after suspend resume

Post by gatb27 »

I have the same issue: if i suspend my macbook air and then i open it, the touchpad and the keyboard don't work , i can only move the cursor but i can't tapping anywhere!
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

gatb27 wrote:I have the same issue: if i suspend my macbook air and then i open it, the touchpad and the keyboard don't work , i can only move the cursor but i can't tapping anywhere!
:(

Any pointers to solve this issue, please.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

anandrkris,

I don't know the exact reason the touchpad tapping is disabled after resuming from suspend or hibernation but from what I've read,
it can be caused by a conflict with the mouse daemon.

What command are you using to restore the touchpad tapping action. Is it one of these?
synclient TouchpadOff=0
synclient TapButton1=1 TapButton2=2 TapButton3=3
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Thanks for the command, was doing it through UI earlier with few annoying steps.
Any idea, how to auto-execute it after resume from hibernate / suspend? Novice here, need to add to some bash script?
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

I assume you were using the command "synclient TouchpadOff =0". First copy the lines below:

#!/bin/sh
synclient TouchpadOff=0

Then create a script in your "/home/user-name" directory named ".touchpad-settings” or whatever. The dot in front of the file name makes it
hidden. Replace "user-name" with your real user name.

To do this type this command in the Terminal: gedit /home/user-name/.touchpad-settings
Paste the copied lines into this opened file. Save the file. Then right click on it and select > Properties > Permissions. Check the box next
to “Allow executing file as program”.

In the Terminal type this command, again substituting your real user name for “user-name”:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.input-devices hotplug-command "/home/user-name/.touchpad-settings"

Reboot and test your touchpad.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Thanks a bunch, robim. :) Really grateful for your help. It worked after minor tweaking

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.peripherals.input-devices hotplug-command "/home/anand/.touchpad-settings.sh"
I remembered that since am nightly PPA gnome-settings changed to Cinnamon settings.

Code: Select all

gsettings list-schemas
helped me get the exact name.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

anandrkris,

If you happen to look at this topic again, I noticed that you added the "sh" file extension to the end of the "touchpad-settings" file name. I left
it off this time because I didn't think it was needed to execute the command but did you find that it was required?
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

No...It is not required. Initially it was not working becuase i didnt not replace user-name with my name :( and I did not notice it. So while searching for schema solution, some tutorials had .sh so added it and did not bother to change later.
wmichaelb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wmichaelb »

Thanks to both you gentlemen, I had a similar problem after an update.
jose44

Post by jose44 »

I added Petra backports to linux Mint 13, and lost some of the touchpad functions, until I found the solution given by robin at:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... b4#p799328
I used the command "gsettings set" twice, because I had those two lines:
org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.input-devices
org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.peripherals.input-devices
when I sent the command gsettings list-schemas.
Also anadrkris helped with his additional comments.
Thanks to both of them.

Return to “Hardware Support”