Bad News: Ubuntu 8.04 doesn't work for me :(

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Bad News: Ubuntu 8.04 doesn't work for me :(

Post by KenWeiLL »

During the previous release of Ubuntu, from 6.06 til 7.10, i always got problems regarding Resolutions after installing the restricted driver of NVIDIA. Max resolution i got is 800x600. But has been solved by manually editing the xorg.conf file and add my monitors specs found in the manual of my monitor. Thats for Ubuntu.

Under Kubuntu 7.10, after installing the restricted driver of NVIDIA, i got my monitor working without a problem. Max resolution is 1024x768. And make a backup of the xorg.conf file. Copied the xorg.conf file to other computers installed with Ubuntu, and that makes my monitor working in Ubuntu.

Not a problem with Linux Mint 4. Same as Kubuntu 7.10, everything just works without special tweaks.

But with Ubuntu 8.04, after installing restricted driver of NVIDIA, i still get 800x600 maximum resolution. And copying my xorg.conf file wont work. And configuring xorg.conf file also doesn't work. I can't configure X manually. Even the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" doesn't work anymore in this latest release. It wont make me configure X with that command. Too bad. I can't use the 2nd LTS.

Hope when Linux Mint 5(LTS) comes out, i won't have a problem on setting my monitor to work with my Video Card.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
BAD

Re: Bad News: Ubuntu 8.04 doesn't work for me :(

Post by BAD »

You can always stick with Mint 4.0 and not bother with Mint 5.0
The next version will be 6.6.06 that may work a hell of a lot better for you.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

It seems very strange to me ---- People know that Mint works and/or are relatively happy with Mint because it works and it some cases it works great. They screw around with Ubntu and even other distros and then they complain the stuff doesn't work. Well then stay with Mint and be happy!

I tried ubuntu many times as a first to linux and had so many issues and nothing really worked. It was frustrating. 900i - a member here, told me about Mint - tried it back with bea or Bianca and most stuff worked - Got a refurbed thinkpad and celena worked perfectly other than printer - I now have a new thinkpad and all works but the printer. THAT is why I love Mint and stay with it and have no interest to goof with other distros and their problems. If I was a super geek - ya, go for it. But I am not - so I stay with what works. If Daryna works I may not upgrade.

if my other used thinkpad did not poop out I may still have been running celena. But I see so many people get sucked in with the new ubuntu here complaining that in a sense - you/they asked for it! Why break what works?

Seems like a call to the local psychiatrist is in order when i read such posts.

Also - why complain about ubuntu or whatever on a mint forum??? :roll: :? :shock:
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Andy Mack

Post by Andy Mack »

A ton of people have problems with 169 nvidia drivers with the new ubuntu, I for one know my problem was with Nvidia rather than ubuntu so it's worth just waiting and seeing.

I should probably start a new topic once 5 is out but is it possible to choose which driver can be used with the restricted driver/envy? beta 173xxx drivers have corrected the problem I have with the 169 drivers.
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

GrayWizardLinux wrote:It seems very strange to me ---- People know that Mint works and/or are relatively happy with Mint because it works and it some cases it works great. They screw around with Ubntu and even other distros and then they complain the stuff doesn't work. Well then stay with Mint and be happy!

I tried ubuntu many times as a first to linux and had so many issues and nothing really worked. It was frustrating. 900i - a member here, told me about Mint - tried it back with bea or Bianca and most stuff worked - Got a refurbed thinkpad and celena worked perfectly other than printer - I now have a new thinkpad and all works but the printer. THAT is why I love Mint and stay with it and have no interest to goof with other distros and their problems. If I was a super geek - ya, go for it. But I am not - so I stay with what works. If Daryna works I may not upgrade.

if my other used thinkpad did not poop out I may still have been running celena. But I see so many people get sucked in with the new ubuntu here complaining that in a sense - you/they asked for it! Why break what works?

Also - why complain about ubuntu or whatever on a mint forum???
:roll: :? :shock:
- It's just that i don't want to stick with 18months cycle. And I always love to try the latest. I always do clean install the latest release.

- Im not complaining about Ubuntu. Just sharing my experience with Ubuntu and Linux Mint. :D
- And Im also hoping that my experience with 8.04 wont happen when Mint 5 is released.

Cheers.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
Fred

Post by Fred »

KenWeiLL,

If Ubuntu 8.04 doesn't work for you, I have the perfect solution for you. Use Mint instead. :-)

That was an easy one to solve. lol

Fred
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

GrayWizardLinux wrote:If I was a super geek - ya, go for it. But I am not - so I stay with what works. If Daryna works I may not upgrade.

While I can understand your point of view I have to disagree. Yes sometimes upgrading to the latest OS can bring unwanted issues, but it's also quite exciting to get to use the latest improvements. And quite often those improvements make things work so much better. For example Ubuntu Edgy Eft did not support NTFS read/write out of the box. I had to manually configure it myself using Fuse. It was a royal pain, and it didn't always work correctly. Then came Gutsy/Daryna and it just worked. The worst I've had to do lately is set it to auto mount in fstab. So I look forward to new releases, because each one brings more refinement.

Return to “Installation & Boot”