Bye Bye Windows!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
digitalhermit86

Bye Bye Windows!

Post by digitalhermit86 »

As of today, I am using Linux Mint as my one and only OS. I toke the plunge after about a week, and I removed my 2nd hard drive and Windows along with it. I had dual drives in my system 500GB for Windows 7 and I put in a 320GB for Mint. I removed the 320GB and reformatted the 500gb and did a fresh install of 15 Cinn.

Windows 8 was the turning point for me! It's a totally laughable ugly horrid OS, don't even get me started on a rant about it. And Windows in general, I got so tired having to always deal with the clean up programs, the registry cleaners, the anti-spyware and anti-virus programs. Doing everything you could to try to keep it running fast to not have to reinstall it every 6-8 months and going though endless hours and hours of updates. I can reinstall Mint and update it then copy over all my data and download the programs I need in less then an hour, and it's lighting fast. What more could a person ask for? I can't even stand to look at or use windows now!

I tired Ubuntu, but it reminds me to much of Windows 8. Don't like it one bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: Bye Bye Windows!

Post by Habitual »

Windows reminds me of dial up modems.
Screeeeeeeeeech...

Re-installing with all your data in about an hour is a pretty good bench mark.

In a year, you should have it down to about 59 minutes ;)
dee.

Post by dee. »

Congrats!

Hope you enjoy your stay.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

digitalhermit86 wrote: to not have to reinstall it every 6-8 months
Never had to do that. Keep in mind that with the new support policy you have to reïnstall Mint every 6 - 8 months. Starting 13.04 ubutnu changed the support time from 18 to 9 months.
Best way is to stick to LTS versions ( or LMDE )
digitalhermit86

I don't think you HAVE to upgrade do you? Your system or it's programs won't stop working on that date will they? I am unsure the differences from Mint 13 to 15, so I don't want to downgrade. I will ikely stay in 15 until the next LTS comes out or upgrade to 16 sometime down the road. I am not sure yet what I will do yet.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I would like to see the LTS releases stressed much more than the latest releases with 8 mos support for newcomers especially.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

digitalhermit86 wrote:I don't think you HAVE to upgrade do you? Your system or it's programs won't stop working on that date will they?
Your programs will not stop working but you get no longer security updates.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Bolle1961 wrote:Best way is to stick to LTS versions ( or LMDE )
As an extra addition to clarify this for the topic starter: the LTS version is supported till april 2017 while the Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a rolling-release distro. Meaning you install it once and keep it up-to-date by installing update packs. If you don't want to re-install Mint everytime when a new version is released, then LMDE might be something worth trying.
nomko

Post by nomko »

KBD47 wrote:I would like to see the LTS releases stressed much more than the latest releases with 8 mos support for newcomers especially.
Well...consider using Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE). Rolling release => install it once and keep it up-to-date with update packs.
digitalhermit86

It appears from my research that the next LTS will be 17. Sometime in May of 2014. What's everyones view on just skipping over 16, and running 15 until 17 comes out? Is it a major deal not getting updates for little bit of time? What do you all suggest?

Edit: Looked at the LMDE, I don't think I am ready for that yet:

Cons:
LMDE requires a deeper knowledge and experience with Linux, dpkg and APT.
Debian is a less user-friendly/desktop-ready base than Ubuntu. Expect some rough edges.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

"downgrade" to Mint 13 or install Mint 15 now, Mint 16 in november? and Mint 17 LTS in may?
Or switch to the Debian edition
nomko

Post by nomko »

digitalhermit86 wrote:It appears from my research that the next LTS will be 17. Sometime in May of 2014. What's everyones view on just skipping over 16, and running 15 until 17 comes out? Is it a major deal not getting updates for little bit of time? What do you all suggest?
Basically Linux is a safe and secure system, much more secure and safe than Windows. But there's still a reason to updating Linux and keep it up-to-date, namely there's always a small gap in the system's software which can be breached and exploited. Safety breaches created by bugs, wrong coding, etc. If a version is no longer supported, you still can use it. Programs will still run, but you don't get any updates/bugfixes/security patches. When you use a LTS version (Mint 13 is supported till april 2017) you get updates till april 2017. This means that you can always rely on a LTS version getting the latest updates to keep it up-to-date.

Mint 16 is the successor of Mint 15.You can only skip Mint 16 when you're running Mint 13 LTS. Otherwise you will have a gap between Mint 15 and Mint 17 in which you don't receive any updates.
digitalhermit86

Thanks for the help everyone! No problem in doing a few reinstalls before 17 LTS comes out.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

nomko wrote: Well...consider using Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE). Rolling release => install it once and keep it up-to-date with update packs.
I like LMDE but would not call it newbie friendly. Main Mint is easier to install and the Long Term Support edition is less likely to break with updates.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Just for the record...you mentioned you had tried Ubuntu and it reminded you of windows 8...I have worked with windows 8 (which is pretty bad i must agree) but ubuntu is nothing like it all...it's actually a "mac-like" desktop environment...with a dock, global menu panel on top and similar type of search...Windows 8 is not really mac-like in any way shape or form...apparently you don't like mac layouts and preferred something that was more like windows 7, thus you went with Linux Mint with it's panel on bottom and slab style menu...
digitalhermit86

I love mac OS X, in fact that's what got me started on my Linux path, I was messing around with MAC OS X 10.4 and a little bit of 9.2.1. I was a die hard Windows power user until I found some macs at my local e-waste recyclers. My first taste of a non windows OS. I can't afford a new mac so I found Linux.

ubuntu looking like windows 8, I mean by the over sized icons, and just the over kill on the GUI. I hate that bloody dash thing. I lack the right words to correctly describe it, but It's the whole touch screen Apple IOS, Windows 8, ubuntu unity over sized icon crap. I grew up on windows 95 and 98, the limit of "polish" on an OS I can deal with is Windows 7.
craig10x wrote:Just for the record...you mentioned you had tried Ubuntu and it reminded you of windows 8...I have worked with windows 8 (which is pretty bad i must agree) but ubuntu is nothing like it all...it's actually a "mac-like" desktop environment...with a dock, global menu panel on top and similar type of search...Windows 8 is not really mac-like in any way shape or form...apparently you don't like mac layouts and preferred something that was more like windows 7, thus you went with Linux Mint with it's panel on bottom and slab style menu...
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I understand what you are saying but a dock is a lot easier to use then the confusing tile system of windows 8...so to me, they aren't anything alike...a dock is pretty easy to use and intuitive...windows 8 tile system is a confusing mess unless you are using it on a touchpad where as unity is very mouse friendly as is the mac as you know...

By the way, if you are thinking of the amazon shopping stuff in the dash search, that can easily be turned off by turning a button off in privacy settings...
Also, you can shrink the size of the unity icons in system settings under "appearance"...i shrink mine to 38 pixels (some like to make them even smaller) I would agree that the default size of the icons are kind of large...i find that at 38 pixels the dock looks quite nice! :D

I put all my favorites and most used apps on it for quick 1 click access and generally use the dash search just to bring up those rarely used programs like the terminal..used in that manner, unity can be very simple and EASY to use... :wink:

Anyway, enjoy your linux mint install...i started with ubuntu myself, then switched to mint (because i liked mint's layout better then the original ubuntu desktop which had 2 panels and a "fan out" apps menu)...but i am back on ubuntu now because i prefer unity...but mint is a nice choice...enjoy!
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

digitalhermit86 wrote:As of today, I am using Linux Mint as my one and only OS. I toke the plunge after about a week, and I removed my 2nd hard drive and Windows along with it. I had dual drives in my system 500GB for Windows 7 and I put in a 320GB for Mint. I removed the 320GB and reformatted the 500gb and did a fresh install of 15 Cinn.

Windows 8 was the turning point for me! It's a totally laughable ugly horrid OS, don't even get me started on a rant about it. And Windows in general, I got so tired having to always deal with the clean up programs, the registry cleaners, the anti-spyware and anti-virus programs. Doing everything you could to try to keep it running fast to not have to reinstall it every 6-8 months and going though endless hours and hours of updates. I can reinstall Mint and update it then copy over all my data and download the programs I need in less then an hour, and it's lighting fast. What more could a person ask for? I can't even stand to look at or use windows now!

I tired Ubuntu, but it reminds me to much of Windows 8. Don't like it one bit.
You know, of course, after your defection from the hallowed halls of Windows 8 that you will never get to experience the crushing perfection of a Windows Surface? Are you sure you don't want to reconsider this decision? :twisted: :lol:

Sarcasm aside, welcome on board the Linux experience, digitalhermit86. I made a similar decision about 7 years ago, and I have never looked back with any regret. Another bonus to your move, of course, is the great LM Forum -- open 24 hours a day and full of competent help. Top that MS Windows!

Hawkeye_52
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

KBD47 wrote:
nomko wrote: Well...consider using Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE). Rolling release => install it once and keep it up-to-date with update packs.
I like LMDE but would not call it newbie friendly. Main Mint is easier to install and the Long Term Support edition is less likely to break with updates.
agree. Actually using both (LMDE in my main desktop / Mint13 in a netbook).

About the farewell to MS Windows, I would say bye bye too but I can't, because:
1 - my Brother printer won't work with the linux driver
2 - I have to send professional texts to editors in .docx (they don't manage .odt). Libreoffice is great but MSOffice is necessary in some contexts.

So, at the moment, the solution is dual booting MS/Linux. :roll:

One more thing, I agree that windows 8 is ugly, but 7 is not that bad. The bad thing is the closed / monopolistic / profit philosophy behind MS business.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
BlitheCalamity

Post by BlitheCalamity »

xfrank wrote:
KBD47 wrote:
nomko wrote: About the farewell to MS Windows, I would say bye bye too but I can't, because:
1 - my Brother printer won't work with the linux driver
2 - I have to send professional texts to editors in .docx (they don't manage .odt). Libreoffice is great but MSOffice is necessary in some contexts.
I was a die-hard windows user since Windows 3.1, mainly due to the fact that I work in Corporate America and it's a standard. I took the plunge to linux and, after trying out about a half-dozen different distros settled on Mint due to it's basically needing very little tweaking after installation. Have even contemplated putting it on my DH's older laptop and that is saying something because he is completely (as he put it) "tech-tarded".

As to your main arguments for not completely erradicting Windows as of yet;

1 - Have you looked around to see if there's a repository that contains working drivers? My Canon printer doesn't work with available drivers. I have to download drivers that a benevolent developer decided to donate his time to tweaking to work in this environment. Scanning is still a bit if-fy but the wireless printing works good with the tweaked drivers. Have you tried doing a thorough search to see if others have the same printer & have gotten it working?

2 - LibreOffice can both open and save in .docx, .xlsx, .pptx, and all the other latest M$Office formats so that argument seems invalid.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”