Google caching over 500 GB data on my computer!!!!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mintology

Google caching over 500 GB data on my computer!!!!

Post by Mintology »

I have noticed that my hard drive has been getting filled up far faster than normal. Today I had my computer on all day as I usually do and when I went to use it this evening I had a pop up window saying that 100% of my memory was used up. I thought that cant be right since I had at least 400Gb a few days ago. Every last bit of my memory was gone. Not even enough to download my emails.

So I went looking around and found that under my home directory that there indeed showed 0 memory. Checked all my folders and only totaled around maybe 100Gb out of the 700Gb hard drive. Then I clicked the button to show hidden files and I Start checking there. That is when I found that the .googleearth file has over 508Gb of data in it. Checked the cache and most of it was in there. So I proceeded to remove Google Earth but the file remained along with all the data it was using. I was getting paranoid that it was going to crash my computer so I deleted the folder as well and after about 20 minutes it was gone and my memory is back.

So what the heck is going on with Google and why were they using my computer to store who knows what? I should have browsed the file to see what was in there, but having used Windows for so long my response was to panic and delete the thing being afraid that opening it would be more bad news.

Then I checked the Trash folder thinking I could open it there, but it is not in there. So what is going on and why did Google use every last bit of my hard drive to store who knows what? I rarely ever use this program so I know it cant just be temp files. Besides I have not used it in quite a while and somehow they filled up my computer with their junk. What is going on?

Mintology
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dee.

Re: Google caching over 500 GB data on my computer!!!!

Post by dee. »

It's a conspiracy... they don't have enough hard drives in their facilities, so they've started using the computers of unsuspecting victims for distributed storage... there's just too much data from data mining, incidentally your deletion just cost them $5 because of lost data...

Or, you know, maybe it's a bug or something.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

What's wrong with you ?
When you use GoogleEarth all the picture you download are stored on your drive. That's allow you not to download them again next time you use GoogleEarth... That's why it's heavy.

Google don't use your drive to store anything... :roll:
dee.

Post by dee. »

killer de bug wrote:What's wrong with you ?
When you use GoogleEarth all the picture you download are stored on your drive. That's allow you not to download them again next time you use GoogleEarth... That's why it's heavy.

500GB is still way too much space just to cache images. There must be something wrong with the program.
Mintology

Post by Mintology »

No need to be a douche! It should be fairly obvious that 508 Gigabits is not a typical cache size. Most people would not have the memory for such a huge usage of memory. There was obviously something wrong with the program to make it store that much info in the cache of a program that maybe gets once a month. Virus perhaps? Beats me. Obviously Google did store something on my drive or there would not have been that much data there. Maybe you are confusing GB with MB?
Mintology

Post by Mintology »

Hehe I just noticed you are French, that explains it. :twisted:
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

Before you make silly accusations, perhaps you told google earth to cache so much :roll: .
From the GE menu go to Tools => Options, and you'll see a multitabed box like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/959 ... earth2.png
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

dee. wrote:It's a conspiracy... they don't have enough hard drives in their facilities, so they've started using the computers of unsuspecting victims for distributed storage... there's just too much data from data mining, incidentally your deletion just cost them $5 because of lost data...

Or, you know, maybe it's a bug or something.
OMG you have too much time on your hands :!:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Mintology wrote:No need to be a douche!
Mintology wrote:Hehe I just noticed you are French, that explains it.
Or "How not to get help on http://forums.linuxmint.com"
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

Habitual wrote:
Mintology wrote:No need to be a douche!
Mintology wrote:Hehe I just noticed you are French, that explains it.
Or "How not to get help on http://forums.linuxmint.com"
<Chortles> :lol: - that's what I was thinking, too.
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE

Return to “Chat about Linux”